Toilet type query

Jobsworth

Featured Posts

Hi, can anybody tell me whether it is possible to replace a macerator toilet with a gravity pump lever type? We had to take the old macerator toilet out (broken an unable to repair). We currently have a porta potti in place but would like a more permanent replacement. Has anyone done anything similar?

3 hours ago, Jobsworth said:

Hi, can anybody tell me whether it is possible to replace a macerator toilet with a gravity pump lever type? We had to take the old macerator toilet out (broken an unable to repair). We currently have a porta potti in place but would like a more permanent replacement. Has anyone done anything similar?

My boat has one of these:

https://www.jabscoshop.com/jabscoshop-spare-parts/29040-3000-twist-n-lock-pump-assembly.htm

This might assist:

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/29090_29120-3000_43000-0905.pdf

I see iit can discharge up to 3m above its base.

To be honest, I have never heard of a macerator on a boat. They're a plmber's nightmare at the best of times!

6 hours ago, Mikexx said:

To be honest, I have never heard of a macerator on a boat. They're a plmber's nightmare at the best of times!

They are at least as common as the dump through type. Yes, they are more complex, but much less smelly in use. Regular descaling with phosphoric acid is essential. We've used one for over 13 years now.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Mikexx said:

My boat has one of these:

https://www.jabscoshop.com/jabscoshop-spare-parts/29040-3000-twist-n-lock-pump-assembly.htm

This might assist:

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/29090_29120-3000_43000-0905.pdf

I see iit can discharge up to 3m above its base.

The sea toilets use a lot of water to flush tho.  Macerators are very common on boats, as long as you don't shove anything you don't eat down the toilet and use dissolvable toilet paper youll get no issues.

• 1 month later...

Compost.  

There are always slightly urgent questions from blocked and broken pump-out / tank / cassette filling types on every forum everywhere. Ever wondered why?

Get a head that will last forever.

2 hours ago, Neil T said:

Compost.  

There are always slightly urgent questions from blocked and broken pump-out / tank / cassette filling types on every forum everywhere. Ever wondered why?

Because they are the most popular toilet types installed on a boat?

12 hours ago, Robbo said:

Because they are the most popular toilet types installed on a boat?

Surely everybody fits composting bogs nowadays? I dont know of any boats round here that is not fitted with a composting bog such is their ingenious design and popularity.

15 hours ago, Neil T said:

Compost.  

It should not be allowed to fit a composting bog on a Hudson :P

Edited by mrsmelly

On 2017-7-1 at 04:21, Neil T said:

Nothing lasts forever but I'm pretty happy with how my vacuflush has performed over the last 12 years. I was thinking of a composting toilet and even ordered one, but when I saw how poor the quality was I sent it back for a refund. That prompted me to I finally give the vacuflush a full service and it's like new again. 

There is no perfect boat toilet, because like boats themselves all boat toilets are a compromise. But I haven't seen another toilet I'd rather have than the one I've got.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Nothing lasts forever but I'm pretty happy with how my vacuflush has performed over the last 12 years. I was thinking of a composting toilet and even ordered one, but when I saw how poor the quality was I sent it back for a refund. That prompted me to I finally give the vacuflush a full service and it's like new again. 

There is no perfect boat toilet, because like boats themselves all boat toilets are a compromise. But I haven't seen another toilet I'd rather have than the one I've got.

What make toilet and vac pump have you got?  Would you go for them again or “upgrade”, etc?

Lol. Ok many toilet posts. Never had a problem with the basic dump through pump out. Not a great deal to go wrong. The blu seems to keep on top, no nasty niffs here!

Edited by Jak
Feckin auto correct!

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I echo that except mines a dump through. far less smelly since I changed the main seal last week, a 10 minute job..

I have changed mine twice, once because it no longer held a water seal and the second time because the spring in the flush valve failed so I took the whole thing apart and changed everything, ball, ball seal, tank seal, flush valve and gave the whole thing a good clean up.