Mooring in Worksop

Featured Posts

Although I have always thought Worksop would be best removed several miles from the Chesterfield Canal, it does appear to have a few good pubs.  Is there anywhere decent to moor in the town, or am I asking the impossible?

14 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Although I have always thought Worksop would be best removed several miles from the Chesterfield Canal, it does appear to have a few good pubs.  Is there anywhere decent to moor in the town, or am I asking the impossible?

My recollection (but it is a five years old) is that it is possible to moor between locks 49 and 50, close to the Priory Shopping Centre. Otherwise, I think that there is not much clsoe to the town centre. However, I hope that we can give a better answer in a few weeks time as we will be heading that way mid-June!

Mooring in Worksop is a tricky one. It's not got a good reputation but the time we did moor in the town overnight we had no problems at all- and it was New Year's Eve! 

Most boats carry on to "The lock keepers" but there are better pubs in town. Retford used to have the same problem but more visiting boats seem to staying overnight now. I'd say above Worksop town lock, on the piled bank is your best bet. 

My photos suggest also near to bridge 43 might be possible.

The Boating Guide (see pin above for link) indicates 24hr moorings 100m at Cuckoo Wharf but that might be another name for this same location.

Looks OK on Google

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Worksop/@53.3063238,-1.1101281,3a,60y,276.47h,82.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4ZC5VuCe2HhHB1jBzGvuaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879082c3c0fcdef:0xff85eacbd2805de5!8m2!3d53.309302!4d-1.122745

I've been to Worksop once. Eee, it were grim!  Moorings? I'd have thought a 'no mooring' section to allow boats to pass through without slowing down would be more appropriate. :(  

(Of course, it might be lovely now, in which case I apologise!) 

Personally i'd probably avoid mooring in Worksop especially overnight. As noddy mentioned the Lock Keeper is probably your best bet mooring wise. It's about a 20 minute walk into the town centre from there. The other alternative is some mooring ringsabout 200 yards above Deep Lock which will probably only add 5 minutes to your walk into town if that.

Long before we had our 17 year spell on the broads we were Chesterfield Canal boaters as hirers and owners/moorers at West Stockwith.  Head of navigation in those days was below Morse Lock.  Our policy was always daytime mooring at Worksop and leave to moor overnight out of town.  I see no reason to change this plan.

As already suggested moor at the Lock Keepers and walk back to town.  Buses (Stagecoach 7C) in the Lock Keeper area finish at 1700/1800. Also I suspect it is a circular service.

You could consider mooring at Shireoaks and you can then catch a train Shireoaks to Worksop and back.  Short walk to Shireoaks station and 5 mins walk in Worksop.  The same plan would apply to Kiveton Park Station near Norwood Tunnel.

There are good moorings on both sides above Retford Town Lock.  We've had numerous friends moor ther over the years without problems.

I lived in a caravan whilst waiting for my boat it was next to the canal and behind the cricket club which was trouble free, This was 12 years ago and you could get to the bank easily to tie ropes. From there it was a few minutes walk into town, I in 6 months never saw a night time moorer in the town center

The age of your map or guide book is worth considering if you're planning overnight beer stops on the Chesterfield. Unfortunately we're still a few pubs down with The Boat at Hayton and the much missed Swan at Drakeholes closed. (It's still worth mooring here and walking down the road to Everton where you'll find one pub open and a decent farm shop)

If using the Gate Inn moorings at Clarborough have a walk into the village for the Kings Arms, good food and usually two local ales on. Handy late opening spar next door for urgent supplies too.

6 hours ago, noddyboater said:

The age of your map or guide book is worth considering if you're planning overnight beer stops on the Chesterfield. Unfortunately we're still a few pubs down with The Boat at Hayton and the much missed Swan at Drakeholes closed. (It's still worth mooring here and walking down the road to Everton where you'll find one pub open and a decent farm shop)

If using the Gate Inn moorings at Clarborough have a walk into the village for the Kings Arms, good food and usually two local ales on. Handy late opening spar next door for urgent supplies too.

I'm on the Gate moorings at this very moment and intend to patronise both pubs.  Stopped at Drakeholes to warm up (It's bloody cold still) and the Swan is a very sad sight.  Had no idea the Boat had closed too, though. Oh, dear.  But at least the Red Hart at Misterton was open, which it wasn't last time I was here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been through Worksop twice and didn't moor, but did find a really good pub!  Discovered that Worksop is only 5 minutes from Shireoaks by train, with two good pubs, one, the Mallard on the station itself (but closed Sunday evenings, despite Whatpub saying otherwise :( ), and the other, the Station Hotel (!) just across the road. Mission accomplished.

Although I didn't moor in Worksop, there are designated visitor moorings below Town Lock, although I wouldn't want to stay there. The area by the caravan site looked fine, and if they put visitor moorings in there perhaps people would stop - although I've only met one moving boat in 4 days, so perhaps not.  Overall Worksop doesn't seem so bad as it did 10 years ago, but Town Lock is just as grim.

Worksop.jpg

Thanks for the update/review.  The train is also good for exploring the summit poud and lock flights from Kiveton Park Station to Shireoaks.  Train up from Shireoaks to Kiveto Park takes about 3 minutes and a then a pleasant hour and a bit downhill walk all the way back.