Farce at Camden Lock

mark99

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, howardang said:

I like this boat at Anderton Marina which did the pump outs. I have been told that is has now been sold.

Howard

too+loos+lautrec.jpg

This is now on the River Nene at Barnwell or it was a couple of weeks ago . Not sure if it still does pump outs but it was near where the fuel boat moors.

Would have been nice but not a volocky in sight when I dropped through the flight solo, single handed, midday and midweek a couple of weeks ago. Got the full attention of the Gongoozlers at top lock therefore. Intimidating but just got on with it - trip boat was heading the other way - just as well by the sound of it. Can't remember seeing a lock landing either, had to tie up just round the corner and fight my way through crowded market! 

6 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

You can dispose of a poo suitcase's contents at any CRT facility for free. The marina has to make a business decision about whether (or how much) to charge. Your choice!

...having noticed your location I must admit I don't know much about the Bridgwater's facilities. 

I'm aware of CRT facilities. We actually live at the side of the Bridgewater but the boat is berthed in a Marina on the T&M. It's only two miles and three locks to the Elsan one way but two days travel if heading south. A business decision has been made but it has not been received well by some occupants. It will only take one boat owner to move on and the business will be worse off. 

I thought it a curious decision especially as the facility will not be usable at all out of office hours.

5 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I'm aware of CRT facilities. We actually live at the side of the Bridgewater but the boat is berthed in a Marina on the T&M. It's only two miles and three locks to the Elsan one way but two days travel if heading south. A business decision has been made but it has not been received well by some occupants. It will only take one boat owner to move on and the business will be worse off. 

I thought it a curious decision especially as the facility will not be usable at all out of office hours.

I wonder if they have had something tipped into it which shouldn't have been? Locking and charging for it is one way to keep some control over who uses it.

Our disposal costs are around £1500 per month peak season - the bulk of that is from the pump out machine though and I've never charged for people emptying cassettes as it's trivial.

People turning up out of hours with a hundred or so litres in drums are a different matter and if anyone ever tips oil into it then I will have no choice but to lock ours up.

8 hours ago, cuthound said:

I remember this pump out boat from Anderton Marina, when it was operated by IML, before ABC bought them out. We hired from there in 1988.

It was there in 1980..... when we were hiring from Anderton Marina.

4 hours ago, Hair Bear Bunch said:

Piaggio? PIAGGIO???

That, my friend is a British built Reliant Ant

Oops, sorry. I'm not sure whether I insulted it or over-rated it though!

Anyway now, like the notion of the blind leading the blind, we appear to have an example of the sh.. hauling the sh..! :D

Similar to the phone record suggestion - good idea - never thought of that!.

I find a good ploy is to say you take the matter seriously and would like to make an exact note of their complaint. Take out a notebook/piece of paper and pen/pencil and write down what they say.

To do this you ask them to repeat the message slowly - and if using swear words - ask them to spell them out - but apologising for suffering from deafness (in my case it is true) - asking them to pause and and to repeat words and individual letters. 

If you ever get to the end of the message (probably not even the first line) - (especially if you break the pencil or have a  dud pen) - read it back to them (including a few 'wrong' words for dramatic effect) - to make sure that you got it right 

.....if they are still there.

I've had no reply from the trip operator company via their contact email. So formal letter will follow; again asking for the outcome. I won't hold my breath. At least CaRT head replied asking for more info, giving me valuable info and advising what they were doing.

Edited by mark99

23 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Oops, sorry. I'm not sure whether I insulted it or over-rated it though!

Anyway now, like the notion of the blind leading the blind, we appear to have an example of the sh.. hauling the sh..! :D

The more I think about it, you're probably right!

On 10/05/2017 at 12:22, Athy said:

Our house isn't on mains sewage, and twice a year a tanker lorry comes to pump out our septic tank. On the back is the slogan "You make it, we take it".

In one day me and Mrs WotEver saw a cattle truck named 'Moo Mover' and a plumbers van sign-written 'Singh & Son Plumbers. You've tried the cowboys, now try the Indians'