Boat painting, ONE THING NOT TO DO!

Featured Posts

Hi All.

Just wanted to mention a point that will hopefully save at least a few people some problems, we've had the problem arise many many many times. Twice this week already! 

So here we go.

If you are about to have a re paint and the press studs on your boat need to be removed DO NOT drill out the old rivet with a 4mm drill bit.  The size of the rivet needed to fill this hole has a bigger head. Although, when re fitted to the boat the stud base looks fine, it has actually been filled and has no area for the inner part of the actual  press stud on the cover to sit. This means the fitting will "pop on " a little bit but not remain secure.  

We strongly suggest that the fitting is drilled off using a 1/8th or 3.2mm  drill bit.. Nothing bigger than a 3.5mm.  If its not you doing the work but a painter, then please also mention this.  

A lot of painters already know but many don't.

That's all.  I hope this helps at least one person.

Over and out.. ( oh and if you are at Crick show this year, pop in and say hello, We'll have complimentary real ale available courtesy of our next door neighbours The Green duck Brewery.  http://www.greenduckbrewery.co.uk/ ) 

• Greenie 1

The press studs are orrible things. We have boats here with many that have been distorted by folk pulling, fumbling and pressing when they're not aligned properly. Turnbuckle are much better, or Velcro which makes that wonderful tearing noise.

I once was the proud owner of a lovely expensive pair of blue corduroy trousers which had a wretched press stud at the top, this detaching without warning coupled with a brass fly zip that wouldn't lock caused them to descend to around my knees from time to time, I always had to make sure I had clean underpants on.       I hate press studs!!!!!

Edited by bizzard

If it too late and a 4mm drill has been used, then I have successfully turned down the head of a replacement 4mm pop rivet so it will fit in the press stud snugly without protruding. Put the rivet in an electric drill and a file will turn down the head till it fits. Eye protection obviously.

Jenny

14 hours ago, sherbert said:

Thanks for the advice as I will be removing mine in afew weeks ready for a repaint and a new canopy and was wondering the best way to tackle the removal

Nice one Sherbert - it's a good tip from Kinver Canopies and we were in danger of looking ungrateful for it! ;)

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Some pierced ears have ear rings dangling from them held on by press studs.  A new shop that drills ears has opened in  Hearlobe-On-Sea,   ''Ears pierced while you wait''.

Earwego! 

My biggest tip to those preparing to paint their boat is .........

Paper based masking tape doesn't survive after 24 hours.

Trying to remove it the next day leads to a skill adequate for removing splinters from a bee's leg.

You'll also acquire the ability to become infuriated in direct correlation to the size of your boat with everything and anything.

• 11 months later...
On 08/05/2017 at 12:48, Kinver Canopies said:

Hi All.

Just wanted to mention a point that will hopefully save at least a few people some problems, we've had the problem arise many many many times. Twice this week already! 

So here we go.

If you are about to have a re paint and the press studs on your boat need to be removed DO NOT drill out the old rivet with a 4mm drill bit.  The size of the rivet needed to fill this hole has a bigger head. Although, when re fitted to the boat the stud base looks fine, it has actually been filled and has no area for the inner part of the actual  press stud on the cover to sit. This means the fitting will "pop on " a little bit but not remain secure.  

We strongly suggest that the fitting is drilled off using a 1/8th or 3.2mm  drill bit.. Nothing bigger than a 3.5mm.  If its not you doing the work but a painter, then please also mention this.  

A lot of painters already know but many don't.

That's all.  I hope this helps at least one person.

Over and out.. ( oh and if you are at Crick show this year, pop in and say hello, We'll have complimentary real ale available courtesy of our next door neighbours The Green duck Brewery.  http://www.greenduckbrewery.co.uk/ ) 

Just wanted to bump this post.. We are having a few of these jobs again.. Check with your painters before it's too late ;)

• Greenie 1