"Distribution posts" vs bolts

sassan

Featured Posts

Other than convenience and appearance, is there any reason to use a product like this instead of just a bolt, nut and spring washer?: http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/power-distribution-posts-blocks-busbars.html

I would guess not, since the current is passing directly between the two terminal lugs rather than through the bolt itself.

3 minutes ago, sassan said:

Other than convenience and appearance, is there any reason to use a product like this instead of just a bolt, nut and spring washer?: http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/power-distribution-posts-blocks-busbars.html

I would guess not, since the current is passing directly between the two terminal lugs rather than through the bolt itself.

What would you mount the bolt onto? Presumably you'd have to fashion something out of plastic or wood?

For a few quid those purpose-made terminal posts appear quite good to me. 

This isn't for my boat, this is for another off-grid system I'm building (but I thought you guys would know). They'll be screwed through a plywood mounting. Need a dozen, and only for a few weeks, so the purchase doesn't make sense unless there's a major electrical/safety benefit.

1 minute ago, sassan said:

the purchase doesn't make sense unless there's a major electrical/safety benefit

None. Just ensure that your bolts are fat enough to easily cope with the expected current. 

Just now, WotEver said:

None. Just ensure that your bolts are fat enough to easily cope with the expected current. 

Cheers. Probably 8mm, since that's the size of lugs I have handy.

13 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Just remember if using a bolt that technically wood is not an insulator, it will conduct if the voltage is high enough

That's really cool :)

I love the way that when the wood tracks the patterns look like a tree - where the wood came from!

Do we know what voltage was used?

I may be able to help you with some proper Tufnol insulation board, better than wood as it does not matter if it gets damp and cannot burn easily. If you are on the K & A or can travel  below Devizes and interested PM me. Also have plenty of bolts and some large heat shrink sleeving.