Narrowboat in peril?

kremmen

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, kremmen said:

Someone has left their weedhatch behind at Sonning on the Thames. It's been here for at least 24 hours. It looks new. Please get the message out.

ooops.

29 minutes ago, mross said:

Have you informed CART and EA?

Ea .... yes. C&RT no as " there is no operator available. "

Edited by kremmen
Correction

Thought he would of noticed by now, if it was a normal weed hatch set-up the engine bay would be flooded in no time, he must have a fully sealed type all the way to the hatch on the deck so it will not flood the engine compartment when the hatch to the propeller is off or loose.

Edited by Northernboater

15 minutes ago, Northernboater said:

Thought he would of noticed by now, if it was a normal weed hatch set-up the engine bay would be flooded in no time, he must have a fully sealed type all the way to the hatch on the deck so it will not flood the engine compartment when the hatch to the propeller is off or loose.

I've not seen one like that. I guess it's very safe but doesn't it impair its functionality somewhat?

Not really as it tapers slightly down from the normal size rear deck hatch to the weed hatch cover, you've just got to get in a bid more, I think there fitted as norm on Tyler/Wilsons. You can never flood your engine bay as it's basically a sealed tube up from the prop.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, clever :)

Very, but leaving the hatch off stuffs the effect of going astern, so you soon realise when you enter a lock, pull the throttle back and not much happens...

:wub::wacko::wub:

20 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Very, but leaving the hatch off stuffs the effect of going astern, so you soon realise when you enter a lock, pull the throttle back and not much happens...

:wub::wacko::wub:

It's been lying there for at least 24 hours so it looks like he hasn't been a stern much, also it looks new, so he might be a new boater who may think it's not that important for him to  go back and pick up.

Edited by Northernboater

40 minutes ago, Northernboater said:

Just looked on the Tyler-Wilson site, they are standard fitment on the Jonathan Wilson shells, he calls it a

• Integral weed hatch "chute" through rear deck.

As far as I know they were standard on Orion boats as well. Certainly mine has one.

Frank.

12 minutes ago, WJM said:

I am trying to imagine how this would work - wouldn't you need arms like an octopus to reach the propellor?

That's what I was thinking when I wrote 

20 minutes ago, WJM said:

I am trying to imagine how this would work - wouldn't you need arms like an octopus to reach the propellor?

From what I've seen of Jonathan Wilson boats arms like an octopus are pretty much an essential requirement. 

2 minutes ago, WJM said:

This is my weapon of choice....

http://www.bargee-bill.co.uk/propcleaner.htm

image002.jpg

Blimey that looks vicious. Wouldn't want to leave it our unlocked locker. If you used it in a public place, it would be worth checking for police around or you may find yourself staring at a police firearms officer!!!

5 hours ago, WJM said:

Nah, seven of them would be useless for this job - you just need one really long one.

5 hours ago, WJM said:

My boat is an Orion built 'tug style' which sits low in the water and so the 'back deck to propellor' distance is perhaps less. Anyway the prop can be reached if you lie on the counter with your legs on the coal box.

So far, the only thing we couldn't shift was a sleeping bag but the RCR guy sorted that after an hour or so.

Frank.

I visited my prop last night only to find it was clear. It is easy enough to reach from the counter. The counter is low compared with some other boats. Unfortunately the fact it was clear means the minor vibration I have must be caused by something else. Perhaps I have tweaked one of the blades slightly although there was no obvious damage.

26 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I visited my prop last night only to find it was clear. It is easy enough to reach from the counter. The counter is low compared with some other boats. Unfortunately the fact it was clear means the minor vibration I have must be caused by something else. Perhaps I have tweaked one of the blades slightly although there was no obvious damage.

Once found that a new vibration was caused by an engine mounting coming loose causing the prop coupling to rattle