Flags on Boats

seaandland

Featured Posts

that whole book is a book of fiction written by men who wanted power... its not got anything to do with real life in the 21st century or flying flags to identify yourself visually out at sea.

flying a national flag from a narrowboat is a bit daft really, its not really necessary and can be annoying to see all the st georges crosses each time theres a bit of football going on. wind vanes, colourful flags of no national identity look nice, but im a bit bored of patriotism based on sporting prowess. the red ensign, i like it, its a practical thing to have on a boat at sea, but on a boat on a canal it just gets in the way.

I'm with Honey on this one, in all respects. I simply can't see the point of flying a flag on a narrowboat, as I feel no pressing need to be recognised as a member of any particular identity group. I'm just me, take it or leave it. I can't any the point in pretending to be 'The Joe Soap Canal Carrying Company', and I don't emblazon my name or that of my family (or wife's family) on the side of the boat either.

The Captain of the CSS Alabama a Confederate raider (built on Birkenhead) flew British flags so he could get close to merchant ships to attack them. This was acceptable in those days

... but it was expected that an attacking ship would run up its own colours before firing a shot, hence 'showing his true colours'.

and Malcolm:

That's the whole point of life.............

definitely :) but since you went there first, why do you religionists insist on inflicting your delusions on us rational people?

.... women were made for men, and that they must cover their hair or have it shaved off...

that whole book is a book of fiction written by men who wanted power...

sounds good. :)

As I mentioned above, an undefaced flag of St. George has no special meaning afloat. The flag I think you're thinking of is the White Ensign - a flag of St. George defaced with a Union Flag in the upper left quarter. Originally an admiral's flag (along with the red and blue ensigns), it's now restricted to commisioned RN vessels, RN shore stations, and IIRC any royal yacht or member of the royal yacht squadron.

The white ensign is quite different from the admiral's flag. The union jack does not appear on the admiral's flag. It is a plain cross of St George with a number of red spots in the quarters, depending on seniority. A full Admiral flies an undefaced cross of St George, as standardised in Victoria's navy.

Edited by chris polley

and Malcolm:

definitely :) but since you went there first, why do you religionists insist on inflicting your delusions on us rational people?

I'm NOT inflicting anything on anyone........just stating what I know to be a fact, not an opinion, not a belief. Just as if I had said water is wet. You, and everyone else are quite at liberty to do and believe what you like. It is what is known as freedom of choice (different to freedom of speech).

Because, at the end of the day, I am the one who has to answer for my actions, no one else.

Why on earth do you think religion is such an emotive issue. But I WILL NOT get into a discussion/argument or anything else about this subject.

Now........back in our real world, for now.

Does anyone want an air cooled Lister with a prm hydraulic box.......as someone has donated one to my boating fund (there are still some very good and decent people around) Between 300 and 400 pounds. It has just come off a small NB as he has re-engined with a more modern quieter one.

On the subject of flag ettiquette, and particularly it's legal enforcement. Living in a naval town, I can't help but notice that whenever there is an important (sic) football international, along with the hundreds of St George's crosses, some houses sport warship ensigns covering most of the building! Now we do have police, and they do know that;

a/ It is illegal to fly a white ensign other than for the Royal Navy, (with a few exceptions).

b/ There is no legal way to obtain a warship white ensign, other than the Royal Navy.

Guess what happens?

it was expected that an attacking ship would run up its own colours before firing a shot, hence 'showing his true colours'.

hmm I think in practice, "before" was likely to be "during" or "shortly after".

I will have a Red Flag on my boat. Did you know it comes from the Civil War days when a white flag was flown from positions that werent going to defend themselves and red flags from those who would.

How about this for being Nerdy.

I have made a set of signal flags which spell out the boat name, only flown when at boat rallies and things (every 5 years or so). Not quite as simple as it sounds, there are various complications you can add to make it more complex, repeat flags and so on. It is surprising how many ex navy types are able to read them.

Actually the spouse did most of the womens work, sewing etc.

It was tradiional for working boats to fly the wet laundry between mast and stands on wash day.

All this flag flying is meaningless twaddle on the cut. And offshore it is a tradition of necessity prior to radio, mobile phones and gps, not 'standards'.

Toodle pip :)

It was tradiional for working boats to fly the wet laundry between mast and stands on wash day.

All this flag flying is meaningless twaddle on the cut. And offshore it is a tradition of necessity prior to radio, mobile phones and gps, not 'standards'.

Toodle pip :)

I couldnt agree more. There is absolutly no need to fly flags on inland waterway craft; it doesn't look right and sometimes it is downright naff. However...all I ask is if someone wants to fly a flag, please a) fly the right flag and be) fly it correctly.

Howard

all I ask is if someone wants to fly a flag, please a) fly the right flag and be) fly it correctly.

Howard

That's even more naff.

I was moored near a bloke once on the Broads, he would lower his ensign at sunset every day 'What a pratt'.

However...all I ask is if someone wants to fly a flag, please a) fly the right flag and be) fly it correctly.

Howard

Why?

If I wanted to fly my Union Jack boxers, upside down from my boat pole (I hesitate to say 'shaft) what's the harm.

And all those pseudo Captain Birdseyes who fly the incorrect flags are put on this earth to raise a chuckle (or slight sneer). Where would we be without them?

Edited to say: I hasten to add that I possess no UJ boxers (or boxers of any design)

Edited by carlt

That's even more naff.

I was moored near a bloke once on the Broads, he would lower his ensign at sunset every day 'What a pratt'.

Did he wear a cap with gold braid too?

Edited to say: Last weekend i actually saw one being worn on a NB for the very first time. Very precarious thing to do, as you can't tell on casual acqaintance whether it's being worn as a joke or an inflated sense of importance.

Edited by Serendipity

Why?

If I wanted to fly my Union Jack boxers, upside down from my boat pole (I hesitate to say 'shaft) what's the harm.

And all those pseudo Captain Birdseyes who fly the incorrect flags are put on this earth to raise a chuckle (or slight sneer). Where would we be without them?

Edited to say: I hasten to add that I possess no UJ boxers (or boxers of any design)

Before we fly our company flag on the ex-British Legion flagpole at Appley Bridge are there any senior ex-servicemen who wish to object - we dont really want to upset any potential customers!

Ex-servicemen over 80 get free beer - apply now while the offer stands.

Roger

Action stations

Stand by,

incoming

:)

Men sewing hmmmm .......... Actually, I don't have a problem with this either way although if men choose to cut themselves off from one of the chief pleasures of life then that's up to them ........ ;)

And personally if you want to fly something from your boat I don't really have a problem with that as long as it's not disrespectful either through intent or ignorance. Despite the joykillers and the pedants, it's still a relatively free world out there. Stay relaxed folks!

Shep

Before we fly our company flag on the ex-British Legion flagpole at Appley Bridge are there any senior ex-servicemen who wish to object - we dont really want to upset any potential customers!

Ex-servicemen over 80 get free beer - apply now while the offer stands.

Roger

But have they got to be accompanied by their Dad.

I used to be a member of Whaley Bridge Bowling Club. Five quid a year if I remember and when you snuff it they fly their flag at half mast for a day, I used to say it was well worth the membership just for that.

It is a very good club too if you are in the area, you get your fiver back on the first round of drinks. I think guests are welcome FOC except Saturdays.

That's even more naff.

so now it's naff to do things punctiliously? it's his choice and he doesn't deserve that kind of criticism.

however I do agree that anyone who flies any kind of UK ensign on a UK boat on a UK inland waterway is a pratt.

flags are only flown to provide important information, not as a decoration. you should fly the red ensign on a French Canal if your boat is registered in UK.