Who is the painter of this can?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

This can was purchased in a Bridgnorth shop. It is a very well made two gallon type in brass and galvanised steel. I know who the makers were and it is from a special batch they made when attempts were being made to "Market" canal painting to a wider public. I think the name "Tamar" could be from a Dave Harris tug which I remember years ago. Date is early to mid 1970's. On the bottom is a painters mark.

Who do think the painter could have been, I have my own idea but welcome others opinion.

17 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

I think the name "Tamar" could be from a Dave Harris tug which I remember years ago. Date is early to mid 1970's. On the bottom is a painters mark.

Who do think the painter could have been, I have my own idea but welcome others opinion.

Unless Dave Harris is related to Rolf (can you tell what it is yet?) I have no idea! Interesting post though, and I have to say I do enjoy you (and others) sharing knowledge of this stuff.

The late Chris Lloyd owned ex-Clayton's Stour and also built a few replica tugs one of which was called Tamar.

He was an accomplished decorative painter as well as much else besides so this could be one of his.

Paul

The can was part of a decorative batch made by Bocock's of Birmingham in the mid to late 1970's, I have similar products and we used to buy wholesale from them. I believe the painter could be John Hill of Bloxwich, Walsall who was prevalent in the early 1980's. The boat that Paul mentions is almost certainly the one in my mind as I knew Chris Lloyd well and we supplied some of the brass for it. I believe it is still extant although built later than the can was made, but that could have sat around for years unpainted or unsold..

Hi Laurence

i don't know the painter but the work doesn't tally with the work of John Hill that I am familiar with. The landscape has elements of Phil Speight's work, the roses less so.....I'll have a better look tomorrow. Cheers, Dave

• 1 month later...

The mystery deepens! John Hill got in touch last night and confirmed that he did not paint this can, the style is similar to his but the type of paint used is different and he did not sign his work.

So, any ideas who DID paint this can?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=152531167203

Edited by Laurence Hogg
update info

I've just had another look at the can and something stirred in the memory bank. It could, and that's as far as I'll go, be the work of a Derbyshire painter called Sue Merrick. I had correspondence with her years ago when I was involved with the Waterways Craft Guild. Laurence, I do have   contact details if you want to pursue this. Phil and I thought her a promising painter then but I've had no dealings for years now. I could be wrong....

• 9 months later...

Here is another old can, heavy, bucket handle, 3 gallon.....it was waiting for me earlier at an Antiques market in Ludlow. Painted a while ago by the patina evident, the floral work looks to have been inspired by George Preston to my eyes. Interestingly, it has been overpainted.....from what I can see, the earlier work was quite vigorous and larger in scale. I just wondered if only old time members could recognise the painter? My guess is early pleasure boat era. If anyone can help, I’d be grateful for your thoughts. I’ll probably strip and re-paint it at some stage, it would sit well on something historic or very traditional.....  

9244CB23-F4CD-4044-AD4F-0535CB387D2F.jpeg

C805CAE0-6821-44D5-9C03-1C832DEADECA.jpeg

F5F881BE-08EE-4BB2-9861-4A833328EA30.jpeg

F632AFDE-669E-499D-9576-A379ECB1C828.jpeg

Dare I say they look like Claytons Cabbages? But not Fred Winnet's work I think. Certainly look like George Prestons style, maybe overpainted by a boatman copying the original to brighten up wear and tear. Those on top look better than the sides.

Certainly not Fred Winnet’s work, I’ve been familiar with it since my days on Tay in the 60s. The work is confident but somewhat crude, most boatmen painters had a more careful approach. It has the look of pleasure days rather than working times to me, though not in the recent styles.

• 3 months later...
On 30/04/2017 at 10:16, Derek R. said:

Though the label is missing from the bottom, these are said to be by John Hill:

004 (Medium).JPG

On 30/04/2017 at 10:32, dave moore said:

Thanks Derek

This is certainly the work of John Hill in my opinion. Compare and contrast.....

Dave

Digging up an old thread but the Can above is definitely by John Hill. I have just added a very attractive John Hill painted Can to my collection and there are elements that are identical, but mine still has the sticker on the bottom, and was purchased only 2 miles away from where I live :captain: