Barging brits in the sun

max's son

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Northernboater said:

Seen the first 15mins  with the pilot and his dizzy girlfriend, just hope everyone doesn't think all boaters act and dress like that. Total fools.

It's meant to be entertaining and NOT a factual account of waterways life.  So will no doubt feature interesting characters rather than typical boaters - Who, if continuous cruisers - actually roaming the system - are over 55, and if single handed then male and dare I say a little ordinary.

Awful program. Is it a one off?

We moored at Aqueduct Marina a couple of years back, and Carl and Helena (on Gribble) moored there. In the real world, they are really good fun. 

I'm not an Elvis fan, but Paul the Elvis impersonator is very good, if you get a chance to see him. 

16 minutes ago, Northernboater said:

Seen the first 15mins  with the pilot and his dizzy girlfriend, just hope everyone doesn't think all boaters act and dress like that. Total fools.

Interesting boat though, I think it used to be called  Tamerlaine (sic) and it must be the best part of 50 years old now.

Always good for the canals and rivers to get more exposure and made less of a geeky existence.

As always it's down to good production and direction - neither of which were present here. Shame.

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

anyone know the chap on the working boat?

I am sure I had chat with him down on the north oxford a couple of tears ago.

Sorry to read that he upset you, Dave.

Nick is a regular at the Alvecote gathering, and doubtless at others too. A cheery fellow.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Sorry to read that he upset you, Dave.

Nick is a regular at the Alvecote gathering, and doubtless at others too. A cheery fellow.

He was down below the Nelson last night, he commented on my wife's bright torch. Don't think he can move anywhere as his horse has fled. Ian. 

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Used to see Nick around the southern end quite often. Had a horse in the hold the last time we saw him. It was well behaved and ate very little.

The horse was on loan from the museum at Stoke Bruerne for an exhibition somewhere.

I sat through the rest of the programme and was rather annoyed at the crew of Gribble with their comments regarding GRP cruisers. Whether it was for effect in front of the camera I know not, but talking about "smashing into tupperware boats" is hardly constructive.

DSCN0003.JPG

DSCN0004.JPG

Edited by Ray T

20 minutes ago, Ray T said:

DSCN0004.JPG. Whether it was for effect in front of the camera I know not, but talking about "smashing tupperware boats" is hardly constructive.

Obviously not. Smashing is by definition destructive.

Oh come on, have you never been tempted to have a go?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Obviously not. Smashing is by definition destructive.

Oh come on, have you never been tempted to have a go?

First " You cannot be serious?" Secondly "No." Or is this an attempt at a "windup?" If so I am dissapointed.

Without the cruisers and GRP boats the canals would not be what they are now. In the 1950's to the 70's the majority of leisure boats were little wooden cruisuers, converted pontoons, old wooden lifeboats and GRP cruisers. See this photo of Braunston marina, not many leisure narrow boats there.

Braunston Marina.jpg

Edited by Ray T

I've got it recorded.  If it anything like most channel 5 programmes, but the tine you skip the intro, the bit before the break telling you what is coming after, then the break, then the bit after the break telling you what was on before the break and what is coming up, then the titles and the break for the adverts before then next program,  a half hour program should actually take ten minutes tops to watch.

Before I got fed up with it, the "one hour" gadget show actually had less than twenty minutes of content.

48 minutes ago, Ray T said:

First " You cannot be serious?" Secondly "No." Or is this an attempt at a "windup?" If so I am dissapointed.

I am serious in saying that smashing is by definition destructive, yes. As for the rest...well, that tall equine really doesn't suit you, Ray. I took you as being a man with a sense of humour.

5 minutes ago, Canal World said:

I watched it and thought it was great, very entertaining. It's of little educational value but a bit of fun.

Rich

I'm sorry to have missed it. It can't have been very well publicised.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I am serious in saying that smashing is by definition destructive, yes. As for the rest...well, that tall equine really doesn't suit you, Ray. I took you as being a man with a sense of humour.

I do have a sense of humour but I am sorry the meaning of your comment went totally "over the top of my head as being 5' 4"  I am not that tall.

Also when I was 10, I rid a horse once, fell off and never had anything to do with them since. :)

Edited by Ray T