Stripping paint from grp boat and polishing help please?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Looking at the cost I am pleased not to need to paint my boat other than below the waterline.

I had Newark do the bottom for me whilst she was 'out' Used International VC Offshore primer and VC Offshore 2-pack Antifoul with Teflon, not cheap but last 3-4 years.

16-10-19h.jpg

On 08/06/2020 at 09:15, harrybsmith said:

Cool! Gelcoating isn't hard, if yours is a Highbridge then it's a polyester based gelcoat. As much as you can you're best to not disturb the old stuff as while they're incredibly thick hulled you may as well key the old gelcoat (scratch it heavily with sandpaper) and overcoat. 

If yours is a blue Highbridge blacked up to the gunwhale then it's from the same hire fleet and is actually one of my boat's twins, there's 3 that I know of like that

Seems she was light blue atop, and brown underneath? But that makes no sense! :P

Will see if the light blue is an overcoat of a brown or similar, or not. So might be a Rover, not a Highbridge, whichever was the 30 foot model. She has had the windows changed, so that also makes it harder to guess.

Edited by Techy-Ben

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2020 at 09:15, harrybsmith said:

Cool! Gelcoating isn't hard, if yours is a Highbridge then it's a polyester based gelcoat. As much as you can you're best to not disturb the old stuff as while they're incredibly thick hulled you may as well key the old gelcoat (scratch it heavily with sandpaper) and overcoat. 

If yours is a blue Highbridge blacked up to the gunwhale then it's from the same hire fleet and is actually one of my boat's twins, there's 3 that I know of like that

Still trying to figure it out. She is 29.5 foot from top to toe, not including the Zdrive. She does not seem to be blacked to the gunwhale as far as I can see. Got green, red and blue underneath her, but the bottom is coming up white gelcoat once I scrape the dirt off (paint/antifoul coming clean off in most parts that are not stubborn, so will try the buffing option you mentioned before recoating her with something).

:)