creaks bangs and moans

Chalky White

Featured Posts

Could be expanding woodwork, bulkheads etc expanding/contracting at a different rate than the steel hull as it warms in the sun.May be due to tight fitting woodwork

Either that or you have a poltergeist! 

Edited by rusty69

The steel cabin gets hot, expands and moves relative to the woodwork of the fitout. The effect is especially pronounced when the sun rises and heats one side of the boat. There are places on this one where I can see panels misalign.

Nothing to worry about.

MP.

1 hour ago, Chalky White said:

We got a new boat that makes some weird noises, in the morning and in the evening, creaking cracking banging from inside any reasons for this.

thanks in advance  

Your wife gets up first and goes to bed last and is crashing and bashing about the boat???

4 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Your wife gets up first and goes to bed last and is crashing and bashing about the boat???

What about the moans?...... On second thoughts, don't answer that. 

Edited by rusty69

A good fitout makes allowances for the differential expansion of the metalwork. At one stage in my fitout a point on one of one of my bulkheads moved 8mm with respect to the ceiling as the sun hit one side of the boat first. Apart from wood creaks you can also get twangs from metal parts, and a seized chimney can give a good noise too. 

If you don't know where the moans are coming from (as per title) then they are probably coming from you.

Edited by system 4-50

3 hours ago, Chalky White said:

We got a new boat that makes some weird noises, in the morning and in the evening, creaking cracking banging from inside any reasons for this.

thanks in advance  

Do you notice it most whilst you are in bed?

Get this on my boat too. Always assumed it was thermal expansion mismatches across the boat from the side in sun to shade and between the exterior steel and interior fit out. The loudest and most disconcerting crashes and bangs are during a thaw after the boat has been frozen in. Ice creaking, breaking up and hitting the boat.

Jen