Water pump noise

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Shoot me please!

I now have a water pump click i know its from this as if you hold the bottom intake pipe you can feel the click its not felt threw the plunger part of pump or the rotating parts just the pipe at the bottom, its constant but not all the time e.g. its not click, click, click its more click, click , click (2-3 sec gap) click, click (1 sec gap) click. ect its like the pecker sound on a bolinder random clicks then it misses.

Ive not noticed for felt it before but it sounds like the inner plates either hitting eachother or the water pressure forcing it shut, also the pump is a bit notchy when you watch it but its not this making the noise.

I did have the dome and 2 plates out but they all went back in nicly and the pump works very well.

As said never noticed before but the gearbox noises could have been hiding it. But now the box is quiet you can also hear the water splashing out the side from the pump.

Any sugestions going to try taking it appart again just incase something simple like sticking in the seat.

I'm not familiar with the national pump but most have one or two non return valves, depending on which type they can be noisy if debris prevents them from seating properly.

Its got 2 valves very sim to bolinder pump. But rather than having a horizontal pump next to it has vertical very sim to jp2s i think.

Ill take pic tonight but backly has small valve then big above no springs beween them unlike bolinder (although these run better with no springs)

It just uses the pumps pull and push of water flow to shut or open the valves think its the bottom one hitting the seat when shitting might be getting jammed a little ill get some cutting paste and re cut the seats and check the guides on thr sides and the pump cylinder

Sorry didnt get round to showing pics but was dark every time i went to look at this.

Stripped it down to find over the years the big valve (top) had a. Worn on the seat (lucky of the valve and not the housing) causing the top valve to sit a little lower but b. Had also been hitting the top of punp dome and been wearing the top of the big valve

the small valve (bottom) due to the top valves seat wear had been hitting the upper valve and wearing the bottom part of the big valve and the top of this little valve. As the little valve opened it got too high due to this hitting and was jamming in the housing the big valve then opened and shut and as it shut hit the little valve back into place hence the hit and miss noise.

Stripped the bildge pump one down to find same parts only un worn grinding pasted the seats of the good valves to the seats of the water pump and refitted together with new seal. Did the same to the bildge pump as this very rarely gets used the odd noise wont matter as it only runs for 10 mins or so unlike the water pump.

Refilled with water and tested pumps both work and now no noise from water pump even gives better output pressure.

I was told by some very knowledgeable people that the combined engine/bilge pump on my jp3 would fail if the bilge part of the pump was left in working order, when left unused for long periods. They recommended that I leave the seals off of that portion of the pump - I don't know the science of this, but followed their advice anyway.