Paloma PH-5-3F (Not heating up)

otte529

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, SarahD said:

Hi. I’m hoping someone here can help me. I have a Paloma PH5-3F and the gas burners aren’t coming on to heat the water. The temp adjustment valve is ceased as well, but this didn’t effect the burners until now. I have dismantled it from the heater and tried descaling, also tried WD40. I have replaced the diaphragm, but nothing’s working. There is good water flow and the pilot lights no problem. When I turn the tap off quickly the burners light open for a split second and then go out. If I turn the tap off slowly they don’t light up. I thought maybe trying this a few times would free things up, but it’s not improving. 

Any sensible suggestions on what to try next very much appreciated

Have you run your tank out of water lately?   You might have air trapped in it. Try removing the drain plug underneath. Hold a pot under it and switch the pump on. Air might splutter out first. When water whooshes out without air in it screw the plug back in whilst the waters pouring out with the pump still on.    Wurf a try.

Edited by bizzard

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SarahD said:

Hi. I had run the water out completely and so gave this a try but wasn’t confident, especially when the water was coming out as I tried to put the drain cap back on. But really glad I did as all working fine now. Thank you

Excellent news and well done for fixing it!! 

Also, thanks for coming back and outlining the successful fix. Not everyone does and it may be a huge help to the next person with this problem. 

• 2 years later...

Hi there. I have just joined the forum in the hope that someone can help. I have a Paloma PH5 - 3F which was rebuilt a few years ago by an engineer in or near Lowestoft, (name forgotten, unfortunately) and it was working properly last season. Just tried to light it, no problem with that, once the gas came through the pilot lit easily and stays alight. but when I turned the left hand control to heat water position, and turned on the hot tap to my basin the heater did not change, there was no flame to heat the water. The interior of the heater is in good, clean order, there is adequate gas in the bottle, Every year at the start of the season the right hand control doesn't move initially, but after a squirt of WD40 it is fine and moves easily. As I am in France, I can't go looking for my pet engineer, unfortunately. There is a good flow of water from the basin tap, Any help and or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

If it has not been used for a period, it is quite possible that the diaphragm in the control chamber has stuck.  Turning a hot tap full on and off again quickly several times may just unstick it.

The other common occurrence is that the water in the valve evaporates  over a period and leaves behind limescale if you are in a hard water area. This blocks the small drillings and pipes in the chamber preventing the venturi creating pressure on the diaphragm.