Paloma PH-5-3F (Not heating up)

otte529

Featured Posts

• 10 months later...

Hi people. I too am having a problem with my Paloma water heater. It lights up fine and stays on pilot. Turn it to run and turn the tap on and it fires up and you get lovely hot water then all of a sudden it starts to cough and splutter and then gives out altogether, even the pilot light and it smells very fumey. The water still runs but goes back to cold.It is a good flame on pilot and seems high enough on run.Have checked the flue and that seems clear at the top end. It is in a caravan which we have just purchased and is very difficult to access at the moment and was hoping that there might be a quick fix without having to dismantle the caravan!! Any help greatly appreciated. I have downloaded a manual but there is nothing in there. Thank you

1 minute ago, wullawulla54 said:

It doesn't seem to have the pilot light cleaner. I won't know more until tomorrow as it's in quite a tight spot and I can't even get the front off it!

Possibly not a PH-5-3F then. 

IF its too boxed in, perhaps not enough air through the air intake for sustained combustion (just guessing) 

20 minutes ago, wullawulla54 said:

Turn it to run and turn the tap on and it fires up and you get lovely hot water then all of a sudden it starts to cough and splutter and then gives out altogether, even the pilot light and it smells very fumey.

This sounds like 'vitiation'. Where the flame is starved of oxygen and extinguishes itself. I suspect your heat exchanger is blocked with soot or possibly the flue is blocked. Have you checked the flue terminal outside? (Make sure it is present and clear, and hasn't had a cap fitted over it to keep the weather out.) 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This sounds like 'vitiation'. Where the flame is starved of oxygen and extinguishes itself. I suspect your heat exchanger is blocked with soot or possibly the flue is blocked. Have you checked the flue terminal outside? (Make sure it is present and clear, and hasn't had a cap fitted over it to keep the weather out.) 

We might have solved the fuming up problem as when we got to,the boiler a little better the flue pipe was not sat on top of the boiler properly and there was a gap. We have sat it on correctly now but can't try the boiler again as the propane gas bottle is nearly empty and so that might be part of the problem also it's too cold here to be messing with water today ❄❄It definitely doesn't have a pilot light cleaner on it so not the same model as original thread.

On 20/04/2017 at 15:34, Traveller said:

I have a seized water governor on my Paloma (presumably that is the one on the right looking at the front of the heater). Any tips upon freeing it as it seems very solid to me. Failing that where can I gate a replacement?

Thanks

I managed to unseize the one on our previous boat, having used wd40 to no avail, by removing the circlip at the front of the valve and then turning the water pump back on-it shot out like a bullet! Something of a happy accident rather than planning. Reassembled with silicone grease we had no further problems. Would suggest having something ready to catch it as it could be dangerous and have someone ready to turn off the pump.

52 minutes ago, BWM said:

I managed to unseize the one on our previous boat, having used wd40 to no avail, by removing the circlip at the front of the valve and then turning the water pump back on-it shot out like a bullet! Something of a happy accident rather than planning. Reassembled with silicone grease we had no further problems. Would suggest having something ready to catch it as it could be dangerous and have someone ready to turn off the pump.

I’d imagine he’s sorted it over the intervening 11 months...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, wullawulla54 said:

We might have solved the fuming up problem as when we got to,the boiler a little better the flue pipe was not sat on top of the boiler properly and there was a gap. We have sat it on correctly now but can't try the boiler again as the propane gas bottle is nearly empty and so that might be part of the problem also it's too cold here to be messing with water today ❄❄It definitely doesn't have a pilot light cleaner on it so not the same model as original thread.

Sounds like a PH-5LFE, which don't have a pilot light cleaner. This model is square with two small knobs on it. The earlier ones have the pilot light cleaner, the more shapely oval ones with two bigger knobs and a red band around the casing.

• 5 months later...

Hi. I’m hoping someone here can help me. I have a Paloma PH5-3F and the gas burners aren’t coming on to heat the water. The temp adjustment valve is ceased as well, but this didn’t effect the burners until now. I have dismantled it from the heater and tried descaling, also tried WD40. I have replaced the diaphragm, but nothing’s working. There is good water flow and the pilot lights no problem. When I turn the tap off quickly the burners light open for a split second and then go out. If I turn the tap off slowly they don’t light up. I thought maybe trying this a few times would free things up, but it’s not improving. 

Any sensible suggestions on what to try next very much appreciated