Sabb 82 degree thermostat

PaulJ

Featured Posts

Wont be of interest to many but I have just got my long awaited thermostat. I think it was Rob who mentioned that he was unable to get the correct temperature one ages ago. Sleeman have had some made and now have some in stock- about £60 odd inc postage! Ouch. :D

Hi Rob.

Part number 945001. I was actually expecting a 60 degree stat (paperwork with it says its 55 degree!) as that was all they could get when I ordered it. But the 82 degree arrived instead. Bonus. So when you ordering one just check the part number is correct for the 82..

Hope all going well with your build .

PJ

Hi Paul spoke to sleeman and hawken today they say that they only list the 55 degree stat which is part no 945001 so I asked them to check inside the box and they said that the thermostat has 82 stamped on it, they wasn't sure whether it was indeed 82 degree or marked wrong. Have you checked yours in some water with a thermometer or fitted it yet? ive ordered one any way so will test it when it comes! Build is going slowly! managed to blast and jotamastic the hull over Christmas, sprayfoam next then get the engine in! Rob.

My understanding is that the 82 degree one is suitable for fresh water and the lower rated one is for the direct sea cooled ones. In the past I would guess that as these engines were used mostly in salt water conditions (lifeboats, fishing boats, yachts etc) then the lower rated ones were called for more often. Nowadays it might possibly be that quite a few have migrated from sea to fresh water use on canals, rivers and lakes. 

I have always found Johno in Braunston are really good person to ask about the real detail involved in parts for Sabbs. He may be wiling to help.

Hope you get sorted.  (We are currently, yet again, exploring the really beautiful Lancaster Canal.)

20170417_190007_009.jpg

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Rob 18 said:

Hi Paul spoke to sleeman and hawken today they say that they only list the 55 degree stat which is part no 945001 so I asked them to check inside the box and they said that the thermostat has 82 stamped on it, they wasn't sure whether it was indeed 82 degree or marked wrong. Have you checked yours in some water with a thermometer or fitted it yet? ive ordered one any way so will test it when it comes! Build is going slowly! managed to blast and jotamastic the hull over Christmas, sprayfoam next then get the engine in! Rob.

Rob-Them and me both :D I can confirm it is indeed as marked and is infact 82 degree. I put it in a mug with hot water and a digital thermometer before I fitted it in engine. Gauge on the engine runs at steady 80 degrees too. Bit of a result that- I would buy a spare but its a tad dear and I have measured it now I actually have one and will see if I can find anything the same..

Peter- thanks for that- I have heard several times Johno knows his stuff and am saving having to bother him until I get to  the really important/technical bits :DLooks like the weather is turning out good for you- I am (despite having just got back from nearly  a months cruising) envious :lol: