PRM Gearbox type

Kevsco

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

i have a Barruss Shire 40 engine with a PRM gearbox but don't know the gearbox model.  There does not seem to be a model number visible . Can anyone help?

The oil dipstick has a 13 mm drain plug if that is relevant.

8 minutes ago, Chris-B said:

More than likely it will be a prm 260

7 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

The Barrus Shire 40 Is normally supplied with a PRM 150

There we go. A perfect CWDF response ;)

Just now, Rose Narrowboats said:

Dipstick is on the port side on a 150, starboard on a 260

Ahh now, THERE'S a useful answer :) 

47 minutes ago, Kevsco said:

Hi everyone,

i have a Barruss Shire 40 engine with a PRM gearbox but don't know the gearbox model.  There does not seem to be a model number visible . Can anyone help?

The oil dipstick has a 13 mm drain plug if that is relevant.

The ID plate should be on top of the gearcase  forward of the selector lever.

Just now, Kevsco said:

Wot ever. Thank you . I don't post much but am an avid follower of the forum. The extent of knowledge by members is truly outstanding!

Well yes, a member for 18 months and only 9 posts - that's an average of one every 2 months - you're right, you don't post much :)

The froohles are strange on the other dimension and their cheese tastes like ravioli

Ahh gearboxes not I have my inverted triple language keyboard I can see it was a one fifty

back to the Gin then

Toodle pip

18 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

On a PRM 150 the filler plug and dipstick, thats the one on the top, is 18mm AF and the drain plug, underneath is 13mm AF.

The manual says 15mm AF for the drain plug. Maybe some boxes had variations.

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

The manual says 15mm AF for the drain plug. Maybe some boxes had variations.

My manual also says the drain plug which is M16 needs a 15mm AF spanner.  I am thinking of replacing the plug with a banjo with some 10mm pipe brazed into the banjo with a ball valve to make emptying with my suction pump much easier.  If it works I will let you know.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

My manual also says the drain plug which is M16 needs a 15mm AF spanner.  I am thinking of replacing the plug with a banjo with some 10mm pipe brazed into the banjo with a ball valve to make emptying with my suction pump much easier.  If it works I will let you know.

It should work but do make sure that the banjo bolt doesn't protrude far inside the box otherwise you won't be able to fully drain it. 

8 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

It should work but do make sure that the banjo bolt doesn't protrude far inside the box otherwise you won't be able to fully drain it. 

I had thought about that and will trim the bolt with a thin cutting disc in my angle grinder.  Even if it is a bit long I should still get more out than I do at the moment by sucking the oil out via the filling hole - which is suggested as an alternative method by prm.  I also suspect there is a fair bit of oil in the oil cooler as well, but as I change the gearbox oil every time I change the engine oil I hope it is good enough.  Anyway, this should be better.

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I had thought about that and will trim the bolt with a thin cutting disc in my angle grinder.  Even if it is a bit long I should still get more out than I do at the moment by sucking the oil out via the filling hole - which is suggested as an alternative method by prm.  I also suspect there is a fair bit of oil in the oil cooler as well, but as I change the gearbox oil every time I change the engine oil I hope it is good enough.  Anyway, this should be better.

Great, let us know how it all goes as others may want to do the same. May I suggest you use Dowty washers instead of copper so you don't risk overtightening as the thread in the gearbox is not very long and you don't want to strip it.

For a PRM 150 I think that the thread is M16 x 1.5 pitch ( fine thread). It may be 3/8" bsp on the older Delta box.  You can buy M16 x 1.5 pitch male/ 3/8" bsp male cone end threaded hydraulic adapters to give you an easy connection for a standard hydraulic hose with 3/8" bsp fittings. I have this arrangement piped through a small tee handle ball valve to a oil lift pump ( as used by Beta etc). This makes an oil change quick and easy. Shorten the thread slightly for the gearbox, use a dowty washer and do not overtighten/cross thread when fitting as it can be awkward to get to.

9 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Depending on age the PRM 150 had / has two different drain plugs. I'm sorry I don't know the year of change.

20170130_181244.jpg

20170130_181229.jpg

That's interesting, I reckon the steel one on the right is a later one. Probably done as a price reduction exercise. 

7 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I did this:

DSCF3235.JPG

DSCF3237.JPG

As my gear box has the older bronze looking drain plug I had to get an adapter specially made, as in picture 2, as Pirtek http://www.pirtek.co.uk/service-centres , my usual source for such things was unable to supply one. RLWP of this parish made it for me. http://www.primrose-engineering.co.uk/ I have elected to have two pumps one for the engine and another for the gear box but it should be relatevily easy to fit a "Y" connector with a change over valve and have the one pump for both.

Edited by Ray T