Whate and where are the transom, counter stern...

hackenbush

Featured Posts

My understanding is that a transom is the rear part of a boat that the outboard engine is attached to.

It can also be used to describe a squared off stern, rather than the rounded or elliptical stern usually associated with narrowboats.

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

what-is-a-transom.png

Back of the boat, above waterline? Above and below?

some context:

"After the boat, had been grit blasted it showed on both side that 500mm x 700mm section 
of the transom would need to be removed and replaced with new steel but in the end, we 
removed the complete transom and replaced with new steel as it was very badly pitted also 
we over plated Port & Starboard swim sides and the counter stern."

this damage was discovered after attempting to weld a bracket to the engine room counter stern

12 minutes ago, hackenbush said:

Back of the boat, above waterline? Above and below?

some context:

"After the boat, had been grit blasted it showed on both side that 500mm x 700mm section 
of the transom would need to be removed and replaced with new steel but in the end, we 
removed the complete transom and replaced with new steel as it was very badly pitted also 
we over plated Port & Starboard swim sides and the counter stern."

this damage was discovered after attempting to weld a bracket to the engine room counter stern

The transom is the total width (left to right) and the total height (top to bottom)

The counter is the bit you stand on. 

The swims are where the hull sides beneath the water narrow in to meet at the rudder. 

Most narrowboats don't have a transom as they have a curved aft with the propellor below. 

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

The counter is the bit you stand on. 

The swims are where the hull sides beneath the water narrow in to meet at the rudder. 

Most narrowboats don't have a transom as they have a curved aft with the propellor below. 

This is what confuses me. If they say they plated over the counter stern do they mean the section of the hull below the counter (at the very back of the boat)? And if they replaced the entire transom then this sounds as if they're talking about the same thing

Presumably this is a square sterned narrowboat with a counter stern. Sounds to me like they replaced the transom (the back piece) and overplated the swims (the vertical plates curving in below the counter) and the uxter plate (the horizontal plate at about water level).

A quick look at the hull out of the water, or a good feel around if afloat should confirm this.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Presumably this is a square sterned narrowboat with a counter stern. Sounds to me like they replaced the transom (the back piece) and overplated the swims (the vertical plates curving in below the counter) and the uxter plate (the horizontal plate at about water level).

A quick look at the hull out of the water, or a good feel around if afloat should confirm this.

Thanks, this does make sense and tallies with where I saw lots of corrosion or where there was a large amount of fetid water

If this is a boat you are looking to buy I would suggest that you be very wary.

It would be 'unusual' for the corrosion that so seriously affects the whole of the 'rear-end' not to be having some effect further forward.

I would suggest that you get the boat out of the water and have a look.

Unless the price allows for some serious expenditure be prepared to walk away.