Featured Posts

Take the engine keys out and put them in your pocket before opening the weed hatch. This will stop anyone inadvertantly starting the engine while you've got your arm down there :(

Is it definitely from the prop shaft? - noises can have a habit of seeming to come from one place, but actually coming from another.

Definitely check the prop as stated.

Pole the back end out into deeper water and see if that cures it.

Check your engine compartment in case something you store in there (oil can/tool box) has tipped over and is resting against your drive shaft.

Check the map as I suspect you may have done more the 20 miles needed without thinking "What next?"

Just off now to do one!

zenataomm

"Graunching" sounds to me like the noise you'd get from mistreatment of the gearbox, i.e. going too quickly from reverse to forwards or vice-versa?

But if horrible noises are coming from just gently engaging gear first thing in the day, you certainly should try to eliminate shallow water as the cause, so pole the back end out as zenataomm suggests.

Does your propshaft pass through a plumber block (a solidly mounted bearing in a housing, normally with a grease nipple on the top)? These are sometimes neglected and need to be greased, will definitely rumble if running dry.

Gearbox? hydraulic or mechanical? oil in it? try removing the cable and carefully move the lever by hand. Prop shaft turns freely out of gear? any roughness when you do that? That could tell you if its gearbox or actually some sort of shaft issue.

On 15/04/2017 at 10:00, Graham Davis said:

Isn't it a shame Reg hasn't come back to us.

Apologies, been busy trying to get to where I needed to be, thanks for all the replies. I think as you suggested it was shallow water as it rectified itself when we got going. Did as you all suggested and that seems to be the conclusion. Thanks again and expect more daft questions.

Mike

4 hours ago, regthecat said:

Apologies, been busy trying to get to where I needed to be, thanks for all the replies. I think as you suggested it was shallow water as it rectified itself when we got going. Did as you all suggested and that seems to be the conclusion. Thanks again and expect more daft questions.

Mike

You've not done yourself any favours here by not engaging with the responses to your request for help in a timely manner.

I for one will be a whole lot less inclined to waste my time thinking about and typing replies to your next "daft question", as you put it. 

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You've not done yourself any favours here by not engaging with the responses to your request for help in a timely manner.

I for one will be a whole lot less inclined to waste my time thinking about and typing replies to your next "daft question", as you put it. 

Oh come on...our feline friend has thanked people for their replies and explained what has happened. It may be that, like me, he has no computer access while he's on board his boat and thus he could not reply sooner. Blood you want, already? I would be quite happy to respond to any further "daft questions" except that, if they are technical in nature, I shall of course have no idea what he's talking about.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Oh come on...our feline friend has thanked people for their replies and explained what has happened. It may be that, like me, he has no computer access while he's on board his boat and thus he could not reply sooner. Blood you want, already? I would be quite happy to respond to any further "daft questions" except that, if they are technical in nature, I shall of course have no idea what he's talking about.

Sorry but it seems pointless and faintly discourteous to me, asking for assistance then not reading the replies.

Or if he read them, not replying while people were trying to help by coming up with suggestion after suggestion.

10 minutes ago, billS said:

Welcome to CWDF...

At last! Usually I make a point of welcoming new members if I notice their arrival, and I know that some other CWFers do too. In this case I hadn't read the thread until recently, and by the time I did, t had slipped my mind that Reg was a new member, so thanks for rectifying my omission.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sometimes it's difficult to get internet access on the boat. I have been away for 8 days bringing it down from Crick to Rickmansworth. Making it in one piece as it was my maiden voyage was more important to me than checking forums. The problem was resolved with a phone call so I didn't check back here until today. I am sorry you feel that because I didn't respond promptly that you are reluctant to help a new boater disappoints me as I was led to believe that boaters are a friendly helpful bunch. Obviously there are exceptions.

I did meet someone on the cut that recognised me from my boat and previously posting questions about it. I am sure the majority of boaters are more friendly like he was than the few. I promise I won't ask you personally for any advice as I now know that unless I respond withing your accepted time slot it will give you the hump.

• Greenie 4