Solar controller Victron v Tracer

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

I'm about to fit 300W of solar panels and trying to decide between paying a premium for a Victron or buying a tracer. Our electrical system is Victron based. I fitted  a tracer on our previous boat and had no problems with it.

what do more knowledgeable people than I think?

Also what's the difference between Tracers A series and B series?

Tracer seem popular and we don't see many if any reports of failures on here.

As far as I'm aware the BN are more fully-featured than the A, offering loads of options including remote operation with pc, more configurable than the A etc. 

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

If you are going premium then its Midnite or Outback to be honest they are probably the best on the market. However my Tracer worked ok but just wasnt big enough for the job

Or Morningstar. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I cant see anything the BN does that the A doesnt?

• Higher input voltage
  • User-settable voltages for Equalizing, 'Boost' (Absorption), Float and disconnect/reconnect from 9V up to 17V (so better suited to traction or semi-traction)
  • Wider operating temperature range

The most relevant of those is the user-settings for charge modes I would think.

Tony

On 15/04/2017 at 12:25, WotEver said:
  • Higher input voltage
  • User-settable voltages for Equalizing, 'Boost' (Absorption), Float and disconnect/reconnect from 9V up to 17V (so better suited to traction or semi-traction)
  • Wider operating temperature range

The most relevant of those is the user-settings for charge modes I would think.

Tony

Agree on the voltage and temperature, However, without wishing to be pedantic, the youtube guy shows some software which allows user setting of various parameters:

Skip to say, 10mins 30secs if you dont want to see him making a connector and looking through a few graphs and stuff generated from the controller.

Edited by Richard10002

On 11/04/2017 at 19:11, peterboat said:

If you are going premium then its Midnite or Outback to be honest they are probably the best on the market. However my Tracer worked ok but just wasnt big enough for the job

The  40A tracer looks very similar to the Outback flexmicro range. It is suggested they are made in the same factory.