Solar panels, not connected

Lord Gadbury

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I am getting mixed messages regarding solar panels not connected to a drain (i.e. a source to dump power ) is there any body here that can shed light ?

I discovered my panels got disconnected ? Not sure how or why, my question is are my panels no good now ?

I have heard rumours that if a solar panel is not connected then they will be no good after. I am struggling to find any thing to back this up via the web, any body have personal experience ?

I found out yesterday PM, removed panels and stored in boat, ordered an new pre terminated cable. Just hoping panels are not screwed.

33 minutes ago, Pompey said:

I have heard rumours that if a solar panel is not connected then they will be no good after

How would the suppliers store them if this were the case?

No, there's no truth to this myth. 

Just now, Pompey said:

Good point 'WotEver', must admit, I was thinking it would make changing or maintenance on batteries etc. difficult. 

Worth mentioning though that a lot of controllers specify that you should disconnect solar panels before disconnecting the 12v feed to batteries - don't just turn the battery isolator off and leave panels connected. 

Yes I have read that in the manual, Looks like previous owner didn't terminate the connectors correctly, ie just pushed them in rather than crimped.

All connected now, all working fine, also took the opportunity to install a dual USB charging point, along with mounting the solar panels on purpose built mounts. Look much neater now.

Roof is on going at the moment, Previous owner didn't prepare correctly, paint is just peeling off.

image.jpg