Painting - brush or roller?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, jddevel said:

"Selemix paint chemist, who has advised 7-512 can be roller applied but as its intended to be spray applied we could not guarantee the level of finish you will achieve if applied via roller."

That's corporate BS for "Hmm, we've never tried that". If you used a roller then presumably you'll be laying off with a brush in which case I don't see a problem. 

During a telephone conversation I seem to recall the statement that it needed an "additive" if using a roller. Trouble is to the layman in a totally new environment it`s difficult to get honest knowledgeable information especially when you are as cynical as I am. This too may have been "mis-information" 

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

I`ve a problem!!!!! My sailaway was primed using 2 pack Selemix high build anti corrosive epoxy. Having made enquiries earlier today I received a reply saying quote

"The only system I could defiantly guarantee compatibility with the Selemix primer is the Selemix topcoat 7-512." However I was also told and again I quote

"Selemix paint chemist, who has advised 7-512 can be roller applied but as its intended to be spray applied we could not guarantee the level of finish you will achieve if applied via roller."

So I either pay out to have my top coats sprayed. Have the existing primer blasted off or take a chance with another manufacturers paint and see if there is an adverse reaction. Bit of a conundrum!!! Any advice???

of course they won't recommend another supplier's top coat, because (1) they don't want to promote his products and (2) they are not in control of that product so can't 'defiantly' (??) guarantee compatibility.   

I would hazard a guess that any top coat that can be applied over an epoxy primer will be OK.  Epoxy, once cured, is very inert, and will need suitable preparation before over-painting, according to the recommendations of the topcoat supplier.

At the end of the day I`ll just have to experiment and see what reaction I get. When you think about it compounds the problem of the initial user/supplier not necessarily being aware of the consequences of their actions. For too long I`ve ben in an environment where the "buck stops with me" and the repercussions not researching something as best I can. Hence my rant over using Chinese products and their derivatives. Difficult balance between capitalism and good old fashion Victorian values. God bit early for all this. Not the best start to a great Spring Day.   

I would give the primer chemist a call and discuss the real world risks and concerns.  He will probably tell you it's 'probably' ok but they will never guarantee another product as 1) they don't control it and 2) their principle will be they will not take a financial risk that gives them no benefits so will only recommend their own top coats.