Overnight mooring at Brentford & Paddington arm

frangar

Featured Posts

As it's been over 20 years since I last went through London I'm guessing the mooring situation may have changed slightly...

I'm coming off the Thames on Sunday on a lateish tide and was hoping to moor in Brentford basin before going up Hanwell on Monday...what's the chance of space on a visitor mooring?? 

Im booked into the Canal Musuem for Tuesday night but was thinking of splitting the journey Monday night maybe with a quick shopping stop at bulls bridge. I was thinking of somewhere around Willowtree or Alperton?? Any thoughts on this??

I've heard Bulls bridge moorings aren't somewhere you would leave a boat unattended so would I be wise staying aboard while the OH does Tesco or is that scaremongering? 

I think I might be in for seeing some changes since last that way!!

Many Thanks. 

I came through Brentford on an early morning tide last spring, space on the service mooring so we could water etc but no room to moor overnight (70' boat). The Tesco mooring at Bulls bridge was fine though I did stay with the boat while the OH shopped but that was only because we have a dog who doesn't like to be left on her own - looked safe enough.

Frank.

We always stop just above Thames lock. its semi tidal but a shorter walk to the Brewrey Tap, we never bother stopping in the basin.

The park near on the offside near willowtree is fine for a stop.

Edited by Loddon

I used to moor at the marina opposite the Brentford basin visitor moorings. I never really understood why people used to say the moorings were full when you can just go under the railway bridge and moor anywhere you like. Towpath moorings are available all the way up and if you don't mind doing a couple of locks and another hour up the GU then the Frog moorings at Hanwell are much nicer than Brentford.

We have stayed at Bulls Bridge to do shopping and stayed overnight without any problems. When we came off the Thames at Brentford we always  made for the Hanwell flight to moor overnight and enjoy the excellent meals at the Fox Inn which is a short walk away. The last time we tried to moor at Willowbridge   it was full, but the other times we moored there was fine.

That's all really helpful. Ta! One of the reasons for stopping in the basin was a laundrette visit but it's not urgent. Mooring up the flight sounds good. Again from hearsay I wasn't sure how "safe" that was but once again it's probably people who haven't moored there. 

Bulls Bridge is scaremongering. I've stayed there loads and never had a problem. I wouldn't leave a boat there unattended for a long period of time, but i think you're safe to go shopping!

The park just beyond Willietree Marina is a good stop, but even 3 years ago when i was last in London it was getting popular and i wouldn't guarantee space these days. Not normally a problem, but the only other places I'd be happy to stop on the Paddington Branch would be Greenford (by the Pub), Perivale and Kensall, and these are all popular spots. You could call Highline Yachting at Northolt. They usually have a visitor berth and are online so you won't need to piss about getting in or out of a marina.

My advice for people transiting West > East through London and worried they won't find a mooring is to go:

Brentford/Rickmansworth - Bulls Bridge

Bulls Bridge - Paddington Basin

Paddington Basin - Limehouse Basin

Limehouse Basin - Cheshunt

You are of course breaking that 3rd day up by having booke Battlebridge Basin mooring for the night. To do Bulls Bridge to the Canal Museum would need and early start and a good road.

I love London boating and really miss it. Yes it will have changed and yes there are a shed load of boats, and boats spilling onto lock landings. Be prepared for that.

Factor in to your planning that you will spend the majority of your time East of Alperton in tick-over. Please don't do what the majority of pricks that are heading to Cavalcade do at this time of year and tear along just because "there's so many boats and they haven't got time to slow down for them all", and think they are a class above. Many boats are scruffy, unkempt and will appear unlicensed, but remember that everyone is a human, each boat has a story, and that we are all the same - boaters.

• Greenie 1

Brentford is an essential transit mooring, especially if going out on to the Thames on an early tide. Foolishly CaRT have installed electric bollards so now all the moorings are full of "longer term" liveaboards. Some good pubs in Brentford.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

I'm now thinking I might overnight at bulls bridge as I don't fancy getting to willowtree or Paddington to possibly find them full. I can't moor at the canal museum till 4pm and canalplan reckons 6 hours from bulls bridge to battlebridge so I think an early start and see how we get on. I'm only there for one night before coming back out again as I rashly suggested meeting a friend in Lomdon and it seemed like a good idea at the time......I expect I may well be muttering when I get back to the mainline but take the point about not speeding past moored boats.....last time we did it in 1994 the brand new Stowe hill we were following broke down and I remember my OH trying to hold our boat still on the concrete towpath as the trip boats sped past and I was hanging upside down their engine hole!!

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me but no way is Bulls Bridge to the Canal Museum 6 hours.

It's a few years since i did that stretch but on the back of a fag packet I'd say:

Bulls Bridge to Kensall 3hrs

Kensall to Little Venice 1hr

Little Venice to Camden 1hr

Camden to canal museum 2-3hrs depending on the road.

I'd allow 8 if i were you. You won't get out of tick over from Kensall to the canal museum apart from  few short stretches.

only just seen this... At Brentford there's always room just past the basin if it's full today (coming up from the Thames, I mean). The moorings go right under the old warehouse cover on the left and if full, there's moorings just past the rail bridge and up to and beyond the A4 bridge. I don't think the boater facilites washing-machine is working at the moment but there's an excellent laundrette near the canal basin, opposite the Magpie & Crown pub, which is a nice laid-back pub to while away the washing/drying cycle :-)

Edited by Carrie

14 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Enjoy Camden locks.

Last time we went thro as well as having to chuck people off the gates we also had to convince a few we weren't a trip boat....my OH isn't backward in making her thoughts known...

10 minutes ago, junior said:

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me but no way is Bulls Bridge to the Canal Museum 6 hours.

It's a few years since i did that stretch but on the back of a fag packet I'd say:

I'd allow 8 if i were you. You won't get out of tick over from Kensall to the canal museum apart from  few short stretches.

8 is probably what I would allow anyhow. I'm thinking of a 6-7am start....

9 minutes ago, Carrie said:

only just seen this... At Brentford there's always room just past the basin if it's full today (coming up from the Thames, I mean). The moorings go right under the old warehouse cover on the left and if full, there's moorings just past the rail bridge and up to and beyond the A4 bridge. I don't think the boater facilites washing-machine is working at the moment but there's an excellent laundrette near the canal basin, opposite the Magpie & Crown pub, which is a nice laid-back pub to while away the washing/drying cycle :-)

Thanks for that info. The laundrette opposite the pub is the one we are aiming for. My OH is right off the CRT ones since we had to call them out after the door on one at the BCLM jammed shut with the washing inside......

Opposite Perivale golf couse. It may be called Sudbury course or something.  Thats where we moor ready for the Central Lahndahn assault. There are areas if you look or poke with long shaft (if you own one) for deeper botes.

Edited by mark99

11 hours ago, Loddon said:

We always stop just above Thames lock. its semi tidal but a shorter walk to the Brewrey Tap, we never bother stopping in the basin.

The park near on the offside near willowtree is fine for a stop.

I stopped just above Thames Lock as well

15 hours ago, junior said:

3 hours to do Camden to Battlebridge, it's 4 locks And a mile and a half!

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

3 hours to do Camden to Battlebridge, it's 4 locks And a mile and a half!

Yes your right. I'd counted Islington Tunnel and the possibility of having to wsit there, plus City Road Lock, but i realise now I've got my basins mixed up. 

I still think reckon Bulls Bridge to the Canal Museum in 6hrs is optimistic.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I must admit last time I went there wasn't any waiting for tunnels as all fat boats knew they had to book and had a limited window....as it should be imho! 

That hasn't been true for London tunnels for as long as I can remember, the rule is do not enter if a boat is in the tunnel.

In the days of working stuff you would often meet a lighter being towed.

383501964_bf28fd2931_z.jpg

Edited by Loddon

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

That hasn't been true for London tunnels for as long as I can remember, the rule is do not enter if a boat is in the tunnel.

In the days of working stuff you would often meet a lighter being towed.

383501964_bf28fd2931_z.jpg

Oh fair enough....I just don't remember waiting at all last time....mind you that was a while ago....I have difficulty remembering yesterday these days......

3 hours ago, FadeToScarlet said:

Depends on how many well lubricated folk have to be prised off the balance beams at Camden......

I'm sure my OH will do a good job...I fully expect a few might get wet if they don't move....we've only just tied up in Brentford before a few cyclists got told a thing or two.....

Best tactic is don't make eye contact. Harsh but essential. The people are great mostly but there are just too many of em! (and Camden Market is a good place to visit when not in a boat).

NB whilst you work the locks get the missus to dash and grab some takeway from the market - fantastic choices.

Junior is right. 6 hours is not enough.

15 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Best tactic is don't make eye contact. Harsh but essential. The people are great mostly but there are just too many of em! (and Camden Market is a good place to visit when not in a boat).

NB whilst you work the locks get the missus to dash and grab some takeway from the market - fantastic choices.

Junior is right. 6 hours is not enough.

We already have designs on mac & cheese from the market....but me work the locks??? Pffft that's what I keep an OH for!!

She's small but vocal....she once offered to take a Glasgow theatre owner/drug dealer outside for a chat after a slight disagreement when we were gigging...I almost felt sorry for the chap.....

Im fully expecting an 8 hour or so trip.