History of 1970s working boats

Adrian99

Featured Posts

Thank you F Drayke. That was taken in the late eighties. The team were waiting for SNOWDROP the ice breaker to come through and break ice and allow the rest to continue up further. SICKLE is amongst them, and towing a hopper with gates on board IIRC (and I might not from the last post or two!).

Mike & Lindy's fleet were named from 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats' by T. S. Eliot.

Snowdrop 0127 sickle hiding.jpg

13 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Hartshill - Hillmorton - oops! Well, it started with an 'aitch. I'm better at Southern GU, honest.

You don't need the ' before aitch as that is the correct spelling - there is no H at the start of aitch. 

Just saying.

14 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

The record for this boat on the boat listing in CanalPlanAC suggesrs it to be one of the Hancock and Lane builds.....

Unfortunately this is not a reliable source as the details come from the person who filled out the Licence Application, and that person can be influenced by popular opinion rather than historical fact.

Mr Fincher's caveat here is the word 'suggests' :captain:

Some great photos there - thanks everyone!

One final question - I understand Hancock and Lane stopped producing boats towards the mid eighties, did this effectively mean that the company/trading name etc stopped or did someone else take it forward/purchase it? I think the founders continued as Chandlers and possibly some cabin work but under a different trading name?

Cheers

A

On 11/04/2017 at 11:59, pete harrison said:

Unfortunately this is not a reliable source as the details come from the person who filled out the Licence Application, and that person can be influenced by popular opinion rather than historical fact.

Mr Fincher's caveat here is the word 'suggests' :captain:

I think you'll find Mr Finchers posts often include a caveat, notwithstanding his poor knowledge, I can only presume he prefers to sound knowledgeable but in essence is sparsely enlightened.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, James Owen said:

I think you'll find Mr Finchers posts often include a caveat, notwithstanding his poor knowledge, I can only presume he prefers to sound knowledgeable but in essence is sparsely enlightened.

Well actually Mr Fincher's post was a simple statement of fact, other than it contained a typo.

The record for this boat on the boat listing in CanalPlanAC suggests it to be one of the Hancock and Lane builds.....

I haven't claimed to have any knowledge of who built the boat, and have only made a statement that any other "unknowledgeable person" could have done by looking at the same web-site.

As Pete pointed out, I used the word "suggests", because I understand that the detail on that site is only as good as a sometime owner of the boat, (and not necessarily a current one), has supplied.

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Well actually Mr Fincher's post was a simple statement of fact, other than it contained a typo.

I haven't claimed to have any knowledge of who built the boat, and have only made a statement that any other "unknowledgeable person" could have done by looking at the same web-site.

As Pete pointed out, I used the word "suggests", because I understand that the detail on that site is only as good as a sometime owner of the boat, (and not necessarily a current one), has supplied.

Which begs the question - where would I find any evidence of builder, date etc on the boat?

Still keen to understand if anyone continued with the Hancock and Lane name after 1984?

The other thread doesn't include that detail.

Thanks 

A