Bowthruster Skin Fitting

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Edward Mendelson said:

So would it worth me fitting one? I'm docking my dutch barge in a couple of weeks, so would be best time to do it

Do you use the thruster often?  If you do get, it's handy if they can easily be removed so you can get to the tube tho.

A grille over the openings will prevent weeds, sticks, bags and other stuff getting sucked in and wraping around or damaging the prop, but the more you cover the opening the more you will reduce the power of the thruster.

So it's a compromise. I have 3 vertical 10mm bars welded over the openings and 3 horizontal bars to stop anything big getting in there. That's on a 185mm diameter tunnel so the opening is still quite unrestricted. Obviously it's not foolproof in terms of stuff getting sucked in but it seems to do the job. On mine, the central vertical bar is attached with 2 very chunky cable ties wrappped around two of the horizontal bars like an X at each end of the bar so that I can remove that central bar to change the prop if I need to.

If you have a BT, the best way to prevent anything getting sucked into the tunnel and protect the prop is careful use, paying attention to the surface of the water at the front of the boat. That's not always going to work of course.

Edited by blackrose

True. But then that logic could also be applied to any prop in the water. A BT should certainly be used judiciously.

I've done a fair bit of cruising over the lat 11 years on my boat and I've never had anything wrapped around my BT prop, so it's not really a big issue.

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

True. But then that logic could also be applied to any prop in the water. 

With the exception that the prop at the back is actually required for navigation. 

Unless you have a horse. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Unless you have a horse. 

Totally off topic (but I think a little humorous)

SWMBO 'drives' (Horse & carriage) and suggested that we should try the horse pulling the NB.

Daughter in law (who is a 'towny') asked how we would get it out of the canal in the evening, and "wouldn't its feet go soft and wrinkly in all that water ?"

How we laughed !!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

SWMBO 'drives' (Horse & carriage) and suggested that we should try the horse pulling the NB.

Daughter in law (who is a 'towny') asked how we would get it out of the canal in the evening, and "wouldn't its feet go soft and wrinkly in all that water ?"

How we laughed !!!

:clapping:

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How we laughed !!!

Well of course along the L&L we have horse ramps to get them out of the canal.   Can't help on the second question, sorry, but I'm guessing they do. :D