(quiet) radio whilst cruising

Robster

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I must say that the worst music known to man would not pee me off as much as being inflicted with either the test match or the Archers .............yuk

Oh come on, how can you say that when there's a bloody Cliff Richard thread on the go...

If it can be heard by someone not on your boat then its to loud.

If you want music use an earpiece/headphones don't inflict it on others we don't want to hear it.

If you turned up expecting to share locks with us and you had music on I would shut the gates in your face.

Music on the cut is bloody antisocial

• Greenie 4

I often listen to various things via headphones, makes boring Anglian miles pass much quicker.

I have plenty of loud music on the trip boat I skipper. Blasting drum and bass is unpleasant, but live jazz on a summer evening at sunset is wonderful.

I did once play "ride of the valkyries" at top volume whilst taking the boat out of a lock at full speed, that was very Apocalypse Now.

44 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Does such a thing exist? 

Yes they have really old engines in new boats  very noisy and tend to migrate to places like Braunston for the breeding season .      Golden eye

17 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Personally I hate it.  I don't see why I should be forced to listen to other people's choice of music (which is, obviously, always in poor taste as it is so rarely to mine). I detest it in shops and pubs as well.  On the water, sound travels for miles and you can hear someone's hatch top radio for a fair while before they arrive and as long again after they disappear.  To hear it over your engine, it has to be fairly loud, though it may not seem so to the driver, and most of us actually come out onto the water for peace and quiet, as, almost certainly, does the OP when not listening to his radio!

This is why god invented earphones.

You said it for me!

.....but add loud TV sound late evening - accompanied by engines running to boost TV volts  - with a few fumes thrown in for good measure!

• Greenie 1

Thank you for your advice and permission about radio not bothering canal users.

Having been away in the antipodes educating the colonials for the last 8 months I have of course missed the archers for a while. Fortunately whilst I have been away my mother has recorded all episodes on her new cassette player thingy. I am intending to present my radiogram and the aforementioned player to the local radio repair man on my return, to ascertain if they can be connected. With the help of our new inverter gizmo, I shall then proceed in the direction of braunston with the stereo sonic speakers on the cabin top catching up with my favorite show. The volume will have to be substantial as the  lister had its silencer modified in the 1960s by a boatman with a mooring pin, and I am unable to get acme brand batteries for my hearing aids any more. 

I will be continuously cruising daily in the area please feel free to give me a wave. With my new propeller I shall certainly give you one.

• Greenie 1

cant miss Ken Bruce and Popmaster, I think it's all about common sense (which does seem to be lacking in modern times)

while your in the wilds with no one around play your music sensibly, in a lock or when moored near other boaters,be considerate.

we don't need laws just a bit of consideration and common sense 

23 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I wonder what the traditional horse drawn boatman of old thought when he heard the noise of one of those new fangled engines polluting the silence on the cut? 

Not easy to pick up but from "Painted Boats"  Mr Smith "I was up this canal a thousand  times before you was born, you damned monkeys...  churning up the blasted canal banks..... motors, switch her off.......... Just get your gone, the company needs taking you in hand.........  much mumbling...............   Why don't they learn him better than driving me into the bank with his blasted motor engines."                        

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Many's the time I have shared a lock with a boat to find that it is also tuned to TMS.... always makes a good conversation starter!

I think the very fact that someone is asking this question means it is very likely they will exercise good judgement in this matter.

I find that there are a few folk on the canals who behave inconsiderately, and also a few who are desperate to take umbrage at the actions of others. Most are somewhere in between!

Edited by zimzim

Depending on who's on the boat we have speakers and get the music out. Often you can have it reasoanaeble loud without any issues, although we turn it down lower when passing boats houses etc. Just normal case of not being unreasonable.

Daniel

2 hours ago, DHutch said:

Depending on who's on the boat we have speakers and get the music out. Often you can have it reasoanaeble loud without any issues, although we turn it down lower when passing boats houses etc. Just normal case of not being unreasonable.

Daniel

It can be played much quieter on EA though, without having to compete with engine noise!

I'd play a recording of a Bolinder loudly and see if anyone gets taken in

I have a JVC car radio and a pair of 13" Alpine speakers mounted beneath the hatch. It's ok I suppose but the engine noise drowns out the music somewhat. Here's an old photo from last year but you can just about make them out below. I usually pair up an old iPad to the JVC head unit so I can stream music from spotify.

medium.IMG_3235.JPG.58316c1241fe41355d7502beeb7e4212.JPG

Talking about the test match reminds me of a joke. A chap got quite a shock when he rang the hospital in which his wife was having a baby to see how it was going, only he rang what he thought was the hospital but rang the wrong number and got the test match and got the tail end of the scores instead.   The reply was:-  They're all out and the last one was a duck.

I came first slowly into a bridgehole as another boat appeared at some speed. I sounded my horn. I stopped and reversed to avoid impact. He saw me finally and came on and apologised. I asked if he had heard my horn blasts. He replied to the negative as he had been been distracted by his music.  Can i call him idiot please ?

On another occasion approaching top of stockton flight i could hear tremendous music carrying on the wind and assumed there was a rock concert in a field somewhere nearby. As we descended, the noise increased to the most tremendous row, sounded like african tribal voodoo or something. Then the source came into view ascending toward us. A lone colourfully mega tattooed and pierced to the hilt young blood with a 3 foot square marshall amplifier on the coach top of his 25 footer. We passed, we smiled, a wave, no words spoken, impossible at 150 decibels. He may have interpretted my flapping lips as "have a nice day". Hope he couldnt lip read !

I,m a dire straights man meself. Get a bit topped up on the vino and like to prance about the cabin doing my air guitar with money for nothing at good volume. I,m talking moored up in quiet backwaters, doors all locked for the night. My SOH complains the volume too high may disturb the neighbours so i go onto the tow path. Not a soul, not a sound, only bleating sheep and stars occasionally. The insulation on Alchemy is good, portholes improve it. While i,m outside shes dumped mark knopfler for moody blues. What the heck, almost as good anyhow. Top up my glass darl !  

I dont do music when i,m on the tiller. Love to hear the engine and birds n bees etc.  Personal music, like homebrew beer and holiday photos, should not be shared.

On 07/04/2017 at 17:52, Horace42 said:

You said it for me!

.....but add loud TV sound late evening - accompanied by engines running to boost TV volts  - with a few fumes thrown in for good measure!

Hear hear !

On 08/04/2017 at 20:34, FadeToScarlet said:

It can be played much quieter on EA though, without having to compete with engine noise!

Oh yes, but it doesnt mean you can't get the cones moving between the moored boats and houses!

Daniel