Fending off boats with a pole

Featured Posts

A boater in our marina regularly avoids contact with other boats by pushing off with boat poles of various designs. Some boat owners believe that their boats have suffered damage as result; mainly damage to expensive paint jobs.

What's the 'perceived etiquette' (nice phrase - might mean nothing at all) here? Are we justified in complaining? Other boaters maneuvering in the marina manage to push themselves away from moored boats manually without there being any significant dangers.

9 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

A boater in our marina regularly avoids contact with other boats by pushing off with boat poles of various designs. Some boat owners believe that their boats have suffered damage as result; mainly damage to expensive paint jobs.

What's the 'perceived etiquette' (nice phrase - might mean nothing at all) here? Are we justified in complaining? Other boaters maneuvering in the marina manage to push themselves away from moored boats manually without there being any significant dangers.

I think its a naff way of doing the job and fending off in other ways is better. A pole can be positioned wrongly and go through a window. Having said that I am not precious if you come near my boat which is online dont worry if you clout it Its no big deal and you will undoubtably just bounce off and I NEVER have nor ever will have shiney paintwork to mess up. Thinking about it I did have shiney paintwork on my brand new boat but it didnt last long.

Edited by mrsmelly

3 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

If they have been damaging boats with a boat pole it might be worth asking them whether it would be acceptable to do it to their boat and see what they say.

Totally justified to complain, a gentle push off with your foot should be adequate. Whether the paintwork is pristine or rough, someone else's boat deserves respect.

• Greenie 1

I would only ever use a pole on another boat to avoid damage or injury and not because it is easier.  Maybe the skipper of said boat should consider going on a boat handling course if they are regularly having trouble manoeuvring.  Maybe a tactful suggestion from you????

If using a boat pole on another boat then the contact should be below gunwhales, ideally on the rubbing strake to make it a bit safer for the user. A pole should never come into contact with a cabin side in my opinion. Shineyness of paint has nothing to do with this.

If you know it's the pole causing the damage for sure, I'd be going round giving the guy a bill for the repairs... There's too much of this around today on the canal, where I am there is boats moored on a bend. It has happened a lot recently where a boat travelling doesn't make the bend and collides with the moored narrowboats, which should not happen as there is plenty of room... These people that have just struck another boat then just continue on their way coming out with some excuse like 'oh the wind caught me, there was nothing I could do? ¿?'. If they had done that in a car they would be swapping insurance details, I don't see why it should be any different on the canal, damage is damage and it needs paying for... 

I am happy for someone to push off our boat with a wooden boat pole. I would prefer this than being hit, especially if the offending boat has no fenders.

But I don't view our boat as a shiny show room example as some owners do, so can see how some might object. 

Feet and fenders are adequate for preventing any coming together of boats. Speed is also a consideration; if you are going slow,as you should be in narrow confines, even if you do touch it should be gentle enough not to cause any issues.

A roving fender (glad I spelt that right) is often useful to have onboard if you have crew. It can save hands and feet from being crushed. Fixed fenders are often in the "wrong" place. 

Edited by rusty69

I guess you also have to take into account the fitness of the pole bearer, I know I can quickly get down the gunwhale and use my feet to push off, have done it a couple of times when in tight situations, if you are not that fit or able to quickly move down the boat then a pole might be better than scrapping down the boat?

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I guess you also have to take into account the fitness of the pole bearer, I know I can quickly get down the gunwhale and use my feet to push off, have done it a couple of times when in tight situations, if you are not that fit or able to quickly move down the boat then a pole might be better than scrapping down the boat?

And the likelihood of quickly moving down a thin gunwal and falling in to become a human fender should also be considered in this h&s obsessed world. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

And the likelihood of quickly moving down a thin gunwal and falling in to become a human fender should also be considered in this h&s obsessed world. 

Ahh yes, if you have a life jacket on though, and inflated, this would of course make a sound fender! 

Although if you have an anchor in your hands, it will do more damage than a pole.

Just now, Dave Payne said:

Ahh yes, if you have a life jacket on though, and inflated, this would of course make a sound fender! 

Although if you have an anchor in your hands, it will do more damage than a pole.

I reckon all Narrowboats should be fitted with bumpers like a bumper car. Or perhaps an inflating skirt like a hovercraft that could be deflated for lock use. 

I don't like how these shows such as; Great canal journeys and Celebrity carry on barging, give a bad example to new boaters and hire boaters. 

You watch these shows with these celebrity novices and supposedly experienced Tim just banging into other boats, smashing the banking and everybody just laughs it off. I know it's all part of the 'entertainment', but if it was my boat smashed into I would not be laughing...

In times of strong wind(not that sort) when we move in the marina I always use a human fender, (the wife) I think a pole is a bit unsafe, apart from paint damage, I always think it would end up going through a window.

why does the wind blow the wrong way when in a tight spot?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, dunfixing said:

In times of strong wind(not that sort) when we move in the marina I always use a human fender, (the wife) I think a pole is a bit unsafe, apart from paint damage, I always think it would end up going through a window.

why does the wind blow the wrong way when in a tight spot?

Better to damage the wife than the pole or paint. 

38 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

I don't like how these shows such as; Great canal journeys and Celebrity carry on barging, give a bad example to new boaters and hire boaters. 

You watch these shows with these celebrity novices and supposedly experienced Tim just banging into other boats, smashing the banking and everybody just laughs it off. I know it's all part of the 'entertainment', but if it was my boat smashed into I would not be laughing...

I think it depends on what boat you own? I own  a steel hulled narrowboat and over many years I have been whacked many times by many other boats and never had any damage its just true life. Tim does boat like that all the time though bless him and often goes up the bank if letting you pass him, they are a lovely old couple and may they have more boating days ahead.

Just now, Jim Riley said:

There won't be many poles after brexit. 

Norty :clapping:

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I am happy for someone to push off our boat with a wooden boat pole. I would prefer this than being hit, especially if the offending boat has no fenders.

But I don't view our boat as a shiny show room example as some owners do, so can see how some might object. 

I think there is more potential for damage using a boat pole, either to the boats or more importantly to the person using the pole.

Regarding the boat not having fenders, it is actually required under the bye laws that boats  carry fenders to be used in case of collision withstructures, or other boats.

Howard

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Poles are for pushing off the bank or the bottom shouldnt really be used on another boat. Sooner or later someone is going to take the pole of him and push it where the sun dont shine.......................

Interesting that you are unhappy with a bit of scratched paint but are happy to condone violent assault!

• Greenie 1