Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Athy

Brian Matthew

Featured Posts

I am sorry to learn of the death of long-serving broadcaster Brian Matthew, who passed away last night aged 88. For many of us, Brian has been part of the soundtrack of our lives, be it on Easy Beat, Saturday Club, Thank Your Lucky Stars (a favourite of myself when young) and, for a quarter of a century until recently, Radio 2's Sounds Of The Sixties, which he presented for the last time in February after having been sidelined by illness.

I am surprised that no "gong" ever came his way; people have been awarded MBEs and knighthoods for lesser service to broadcasting and entertainment, and such an award would have been richly deserved. Perhaps his quiet and modest style did not attract the attention of those who hand such things out, but it is exactly that persona, so different from many of today's burbling broadcasting buffoons, which many of us will miss.

R.I.P. "Sir" Brian.

Yes he has been part of my life as well, when he retired I wondered how long it would be before he was playing records in the sky? Its a shame when they go, but 88 is not a bad innings RIP Brian hope you and Wogan are talking up a storm

31 minutes ago, 8 Hairy Feet said:

Not dead yet, but critically ill, according

to The BBC.

"BBC wrongly announces death of B.M."

So much for the reliable BBC! How very upsetting for his family and friends - and of course for him.

49 minutes ago, 8 Hairy Feet said:

Not dead yet, but critically ill, according

to The BBC.

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated -  Mark Twain

2 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated -  Mark Twain

"I told you I was ill". Spike Milligan

Edited by rusty69

What a great headline "Brian Matthew not dead"

Other famous people not dead today are...

Now there's one I haven't come across before. Is it a Rotherhamism?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

"BBC wrongly announces death of B.M."

So much for the reliable BBC! How very upsetting for his family and friends - and of course for him.

Wasn't is a "close family member" that told the BBC that he had passed away?

the BBC said in a statement: “We were informed by close family and friends that Brian had passed away in the night. They have since been in contact to say that he remains critically ill.”

31 minutes ago, dor said:

Wasn't is a "close family member" that told the BBC that he had passed away?

the BBC said in a statement: “We were informed by close family and friends that Brian had passed away in the night. They have since been in contact to say that he remains critically ill.”

Apparently so - and how must that member, or those members, feel?

I assume that they were given this news by someone at the hospital, or wherever Brian is currently staying.

Sadly he has indeed passed away on 8th April. It was reported on the news.

I used to listen to his programs in the morning when driving to the Llangollen Railway for a Signalling duty when I lived in Northamptonshire. It made the trip along the motorway go more pleasantly.

A Radio 2 programme, 'The Brian Matthew Story', celebrating his broadcasting career can be found on the BBC's iplayer radio app. Available for 28 days.

Link

Edited by Hotspur

Yes indeed, it was broadcast on Sunday, though not, I think, for the first time - it was first aired some five years ago, not sure if the BBC have updated it. One clue to its vintage is that there's a contribution from David Jacobs (whose Juke Box Jury I used to watch avidly as a boy) who himself passed away in 2013.

Sign in to follow this