Mabel and Forget me Not

PLW

Featured Posts

Hardy was pretty much sat on the bottom when I last passed it in October.

Shame i can see the next few years a few boats getting very bad or being sunk for a long while or even broken up.

I can think of about 5 or 6 that were up or up for sale in a bad way.

Shame i can see the next few years a few boats getting very bad or being sunk for a long while or even broken up.

I can think of about 5 or 6 that were up or up for sale in a bad way.

Not enough buyers for all of them I'm afraid

I'd love one, and I know I can't afford a wooden boat

Richard

• 3 months later...

Hi I am Jan the owner of Mabel and Forget me Not .Due to change of family circumstances they are for sale as many of you know .

I discovered this forum last night and was amazed at the negative comments about me and Mabel and Forget me Not .

If anyone would like to contact me about them I can tell you the correct facts rather than the ones mentioning buckets  really? ? ..pots of paint.. ( well actually ..that was a picture taken just coming out of dry dock 2013 and its pitch and tar after 2 weeks of maintenance and caulking .... being disabled (well I am 65 and have a knackered knee  ) bottoms being thin ..well actually they are not. Both boats were floating a few weeks ago (thank you to the one and only person that helped me ) and I know where the water is coming in ....all part of the restoration project for someone .They are being sold as a restoration project and have had many £k spent on them in the last 18 years and if it wasnt for my family they would have been long gone .I am asking for offers of as near 10K as possible  because if you have £10k you also have the rest of the finances or grit and determination to secure these two old ladies future ..and I will not hear of them at a later date being cast aside and forgotten because they were "Free to a good home ."

No more negative comments please ..I have spoke to some of you in reply to your messages.I remember the names.Little did I know I was being chatted about behind my back .It would be good if some of you stepped up to it and gave a hand at helping these boats instead. !

On 12/13/2016 at 20:52, Laurence Hogg said:

Thanks Ray, hadnt seen that one before. Last sighting known was in 1993 on the K&A the boat was described as in exceptional condition, she had a lot of work done between my ownership and then. Never been seen again to my knowledge.

• 3 years later...
20 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Not much left of the boats as we passed today.

IMG_20200704_134339932.jpg.d31873907ea65754e51791d31a29321a.jpg

Apart from the condition, various items have been stolen from these boats, the steering gear amongst other things. 

Tricky.

My Triangle tanks do not have the correct 1930s fillers, and when the boat was moored at a certain place, I was ‘ made aware’ there was a set on what can only be described as a pile  of rotten  timber sunk 20 feet away, ‘ owned’ by a well known organisation. I knew approaching them was futile.

I wrestled with the moral dilemma and did not succumb. 
I suspect they are now at the bottom of the cut.

41 minutes ago, matty40s said:

When does stolen become salvaged or rescued.?

Stealing / Theft by finding.

1Basic definition of theft.

(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

(2)It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit.

(3)The five following sections of this Act shall have effect as regards the interpretation and operation of this section (and, except as otherwise provided by this Act, shall apply only for purposes of this section).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

When does stolen become salvaged or rescued.?

When the property is still owned by another, the boats are legitimately moored and still in the ownership of a local lady. The steering equipment and other fittings are unique to these craft and cannot be replaced if at some stage restoration becomes possible. 

A pair of large Woolwich boats which had languished unloved for many years have just found a new owner, even though dilapidated they are in very original condition. How much harder would their imminent restoration be if someone had 'salvaged/rescued' their original fittings?

There is a large number of historic craft missing original portholes and other items that were stolen whilst laid up in the Wendover arm, it's difficult to justify this type of pillage.

Edited by BWM

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, dogless said:

Unless someone's hit them since 11am that's how they look now  😊

Rog

Apologies, I was certain that the motor didn't have a cabin when we last passed them.  However that was 18 months ago and I've been to the pub since then 😄

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, IanM said:

Apologies, I was certain that the motor didn't have a cabin when we last passed them.  However that was 18 months ago and I've been to the pub since then 😄

Last time I passed they were for sale

4 hours ago, dogless said:

20240226_104551.thumb.jpg.9bde8818177cd7026ce52b4b6a89450d.jpg

Anyone know how the story went on these two ?

Rog

I have read through this post there is no mention of the history of these two boats.

I believe that for some years they were operated as hotel boats.

It is a sad fact that these have had there time, these days the cost is greater than the interest.

• Greenie 1

Its great they are still on the cut. As long as they are not an obstruction this is where they should stay and become part of the scenery. 

Whether a Boat is a Boat in use or a reed bed or garden makes little difference. Its part of history and if it is wooden with some iron ribs it deserves to stay. 

I would not advocate this solution for clapped out old steel Boats. They need to be cut up but wood is wood and will go back to nature. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Nicoll said:

I have read through this post there is no mention of the history of these two boats.

I believe that for some years they were operated as hotel boats.

It is a sad fact that these have had there time, these days the cost is greater than the interest.

Mabel was originally owned and run by John and Mary Wilson nee Humphries.
Mabel was later sold to Michael Rogers who ran her as a working boat before converting her to a hotel boat at Tooley's yard Banbury. See A Canal People page 122 Longden / Rolt.

There was a Forget me Not run by Rose & Jack Skinner, horse boat. I'm not sure if this is the same boat.

There is also a Forget me Knot originally owned by Henry Grantham which became Golden Boy and the rebuilt Sunny Valley in the film Painted boats.

Mabel at Suttons.jpg

Mrs Rose Skinner (Jack).jpg

Forget Me Not.JPG

Mabel at Napton 1950's .jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, IanM said:

it could be that the shrubs and trees are hiding the cabin when in full leaf ? 

This was late October 2023 when the leaves were coming off abd shrubs just coming to the end of seasonal growth 

IMG_8824.thumb.jpeg.110a49a0c52bf3a66080f88bbd598e96.jpeg

• Greenie 1