Les Allen Boats - Limber Holes

Featured Posts

From another thread regarding limber holes, I have been thinking about our own boat.

I had always assumed our boat, always considered to be built by Les Allen, didn't have any.

This belief was based on the fact that the crossmember at the front of the boat hasn't got any.

Are there any other Les Allen boat owners out there that confirm whether their boat has limber holes on the first crossmember? Or indeed anywhere else. 

Many thanks. 

Edited by rusty69

I have a Les Allen boat, I am not aware of any Limber holes but can not be sure. We extended the boat some 10-11 years ago and from the photo showing the under floor i have it would appear that there isn't any. From what I have read it is more common to have limber holes in wooden boats.

Boat Refit 013.JPG

7 minutes ago, Badminton355 said:

I have a Les Allen boat, I am not aware of any Limber holes but can not be sure. We extended the boat some 10-11 years ago and from the photo showing the under floor i have it would appear that there isn't any. From what I have read it is more common to have limber holes in wooden boats.

Boat Refit 013.JPG

Thanks for that. From some photos I have seen they do exist between the junction between Keelson and crossmember. 

I'm just not sure if they should be present on the front crossmember, or more unlikely have been forgotten on our boat. 

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, Badminton355 said:

Boat Refit 013.JPG

You can't tell from that photo. They would be at the junction of the cross members to the keelson at the base plate. Your ballast is obscuring that. 

Quite right Wotever, I would have thought that if it did have them then the ballast would need to be arrange differently, as it is the ballast would affect the way any water ingress would be channeled to the engine room in the middle of the boat as this is the only area I can get to the bilges. The re-fit / extension was done when I was young, so don't quite know how it was done.

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Did the guy in the picture ever finish that jigsaw? It looks a proper teaser, and he looks like he's about to scratch his head!

That is 5 tonne of off cut steel, place strategically and each piece painted in bitumen.

46 minutes ago, Badminton355 said:

Quite right Wotever, I would have thought that if it did have them then the ballast would need to be arrange differently, as it is the ballast would affect the way any water ingress would be channeled to the engine room in the middle of the boat as this is the only area I can get to the bilges. The re-fit / extension was done when I was young, so don't quite know how it was done.

I don't think the ballast would obstruct water movement too much. It would flow around the pieces, find the lowest point where, hopefully, the holes are, then continue on its way aft.