Anchors Aweigh!

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

Hiya,

I'll be making my first ever visit to the non tidal Thames this year & on checking out the requirements for my boat's equipment, it seems that having an anchor is not one of them, although it is "advisory".

Now, I'm not one who will slavishly fit everything on my boat whether its needed or not, I tend to stick to what I must do or have. That doesn't mean I will absolutely rule anything out, I will make a choice based on how I feel about the particular "advisory" & if it seems a good idea & I'll get the use, then I'll follow it. Having an "advisory" anchor for a cruising situation that might not become a regular in my boating calendar would seem to fall outside my criteria, however, not enough for me to rule it out completely.

So, my question to all of you, no matter your non tidal Thames experience, is this:

Just how important do you think is it to have an anchor on the non tidal Thames?

Also, in case I do decide to get one for my 65' x 11' narrowboat style widebeam, what type of anchor should I be looking at and how much chain & warp would it need?

To help a bit further, I will not fit anything I or the missus can't easily lift to chuck over the side, so anything 20Kg or more is out. I only have shackle eyes welded on the front of the footwell coming, so it will be stored in the footwell under a cratch & cover and only human power is available to raise & lower the thing.

I'm very much looking forward to your views, tips & suggestions so thanks in anticipation.

All I would say, is that if your limiting criteria is to have one that you can easily lift and is not necessarily suitable for your boat, then don't waste your time and money as it will just give you a false sense of security.

You may be surprised at what you can lift when you are heading into danger.

Fair point I guess, but I'd have thought that struggling with a right type of anchor for the boat that is too heavy to lift properly only adds to the panic & danger.

I'm looking for a compromise that I'd be happy to buy for what could be a "one off" cruise.

FWIW. I bought an anchor specifically for going down the Severn to Gloucester. I didn't need to use it, but it was definitely peace of mind. I it was the biggest Danforth I could find which had chain and rope and was kept at the back of the boat for easy deployment. The next time it was dragged our was for the tidal Trent. 

My recommendation, if it's a one off trip, would be to try and borrow one or get one from eBay. 

Edited by rusty69

On 02/04/2017 at 19:04, Alan de Enfield said:

All I would say, is that if your limiting criteria is to have one that you can easily lift and is not necessarily suitable for your boat, then don't waste your time and money as it will just give you a false sense of security.

You may be surprised at what you can lift when you are heading into danger.

What danger would that be then, exactly?

there have been several threads on this topic in CWDF.  The issues tend towards discussion of the correct length of chain between the anchor and the rope (cable). and where is the strong point to which an anchor cable can be connected without being ripped out when the boat comes to a sudden halt.  The more chain you use, the more gently the boat will come to a halt.  If you can manage 20kg of anchor I suggest at least 40kg of heavy chain.  Most steel canal boats do not have a strong point other than a cleat or post on the bow that is welded onto relatively thin metal, it may not hold if a boat is to be stopped in a strong current.

This is all related to using an anchor as an emergency brake, and as MtB has implied, this may be a largely imaginary requirement if you stay put when river conditions become difficult. 

There are websites that specifically deal with anchor requirements under different conditions.

Edited by Murflynn

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which one in particular? Can you nominate one that actually presents a risk given they are all securely barraged?

No. 

But given the choice. If heading for a weir. I would rather be with anchor than without. 

How about you? 

Having seen the barrages protecting the weirs, frankly I wouldn't be bothered.

Careering downstream out of control at 0.5mph, the trees present about the biggest danger. One will eventually scratch one's paint.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which one in particular? Can you nominate one that actually presents a risk given they are all securely barraged?

Anyone with the big orange floats across it a NB will roll under the floats in time of high river flows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-20288620

As for the OPs question I had a 30kg danforth with 30m of chain and 50m of rope on Parglena. That was enough to keep me at anchor oveernight out on the east coast. 

Edited by Loddon

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too have seen the barrages,  but not their anchor points. If you wouldn't be bothered either way your a braver man than me gungadin! 

On 02/04/2017 at 20:37, Loddon said:

Anyone with the big orange floats across it a NB will roll under the floats in time of high river flows.

True.

But we are talking benign summer conditions, not when the river is in spate.

Which Thames weirs have those big orange floats anyway?

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Check the date.

Here is a pic of the type of weir protection you find on the Thames:

weir_pangbourne.jpg

Nope. Can't see a date. Maybe I need a visit to spec savers 

If they are all like that, then a weir is probably less of a threat. 

Edited by rusty69

If I was in a 35 ton boat heading for a weir I'd rather have an anchor.  

20kg ought to do it, and you have a nice big boat so plenty of room to store a lot of chain, 100' ought to be enough.  If you can chuck a 30kg hook over the side all well and good but you're never going to see it again.

I've actually used an anchor to stop a 70ft hire narrowboat oing over a weir on the Severn at Tewkesbury. The coupling in the drive shift parted and we ended up with the stern about 10ft off the lip of the weir. As I recall it was a 20kg Danforth.

To be fair to the op and mtb, the question is

Just how important do you think is it to have an anchor on the non tidal Thames? 

Chances are that you will :-

Buy one and not need it.

Buy one and need it. 

Not buy one and need it

Not buy one and not need it. 

Edited by rusty69

24 minutes ago, aread2 said:

I've actually used an anchor to stop a 70ft hire narrowboat oing over a weir on the Severn at Tewkesbury. The coupling in the drive shift parted and we ended up with the stern about 10ft off the lip of the weir. As I recall it was a 20kg Danforth.

I believe you were on the Avon not the Severn.  The weirs on the Avon are quite a different kettle of fish to the Thames.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Careering downstream out of control at 0.5mph, the trees present about the biggest danger. One will eventually scratch one's paint.

To be honest I think that I'd rather be held bows on to the current by an anchor whilst I try to shift the big white builders sack from my prop, than sideways on to a weir restraining chain, but that is just me I suppose:rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

To be honest I think that I'd rather be held bows on to the current by an anchor whilst I try to shift the big white builders sack from my prop, than sideways on to a weir restraining chain, but that is just me I suppose:rolleyes:

Quite right, but some of the  armchair quarterbacks on this site appear that they would rather spout their own theories than learn the rudiments of basic seamanship.

Mini Rant over!:rolleyes:

Howard

• Greenie 1

Couple of years ago I deployed my anchor whilst on the Thames just above Reading, had a log jammed between prop and weed hatch, used anchor as boat drifting to close to tupperwares . My anchor is a 25kg Danforth with chain and rope, had no problem pulling back on board. So you never know when an anchor will be needed.

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, howardang said:

Quite right, but some of the  armchair quarterbacks on this site appear that they would rather spout their own theories than learn the rudiments of basic seamanship.

Mini Rant over!:rolleyes:

Howard

In my post in response to the OP I did say "... all I would say..." and some of the crap written in this thread supports that decision -  however, this posts deserves a response.

I have previously 'reported' here instances, that I know of, of NBs having to deploy anchors on non-tidal sections of rivers, and one example where a NB was 'rolled' under the guard chains on a weir by the 'not in spate' flow of the river.

WELL SAID - he a greenie thing

14 hours ago, BargeeSpud said:

Hiya,

I'll be making my first ever visit to the non tidal Thames this year & on checking out the requirements for my boat's equipment, it seems that having an anchor is not one of them, although it is "advisory".

Now, I'm not one who will slavishly fit everything on my boat whether its needed or not, I tend to stick to what I must do or have. That doesn't mean I will absolutely rule anything out, I will make a choice based on how I feel about the particular "advisory" & if it seems a good idea & I'll get the use, then I'll follow it. Having an "advisory" anchor for a cruising situation that might not become a regular in my boating calendar would seem to fall outside my criteria, however, not enough for me to rule it out completely.

So, my question to all of you, no matter your non tidal Thames experience, is this:

Also, in case I do decide to get one for my 65' x 11' narrowboat style widebeam, what type of anchor should I be looking at and how much chain & warp would it need?

To help a bit further, I will not fit anything I or the missus can't easily lift to chuck over the side, so anything 20Kg or more is out. I only have shackle eyes welded on the front of the footwell coming, so it will be stored in the footwell under a cratch & cover and only human power is available to raise & lower the thing.

I'm very much looking forward to your views, tips & suggestions so thanks in anticipation.

Hi

I take the opposing view to you I suppose. I always have an anchor at the ready for rivers. If however I found myself without power I would asses the speed we were travelling over the river bed at and apparent hazards before deploying the anchor as a last resort. Once deployed consider it gone forever and retreival a bonus. I havnt deployed one yet and hope to not have to. I suggest one bigger than easily lifted placed on a stout board with handles in a situation you or crew can tip it over the side in emergency, you may even chip the paint but who cares in those circumstances. I take safety seriously but not analy, as a for instance a forum member posted on here re his fall into the cut quite recently and how hard it can be to get out of cold water with clothes on even in a narrow shallow canal so I immediately bought a lightweight fold up alloy ladder for emergencies this is simply folded and left near the steering position, the cost was £35 or peanuts if you like.