4LW tappet sound

jenevers

Featured Posts

Using a long screwdriver, as a stethoscope, to listen to the tappets through the rocker covers on my 4LW (like the submarine engineer in "Das Boot"),I get noticeably different sounds. Cylinders 1 & 2 sound quite "breathy" whereas 3 & 4 sound more "clicky". I haven't checked the clearances for a year but just wondered if other LW owners get similar differences.

Sounds like you just need to adjust them yes you can hear the difference.  The middle cylinder of my 3LW needed a small amount of adjustment the end of last year and is much smooother now after I check and adjusted the tappets.

On 02/04/2017 at 18:35, PeterG said:

Sounds like you just need to adjust them yes you can hear the difference.  The middle cylinder of my 3LW needed a small amount of adjustment the end of last year and is much smooother now after I check and adjusted the tappets.

Well I've adjusted the tappets and they still sound like they did before.

so....... has anyone else noticed a difference in sound between cylinders?

39 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Most of what you hear is reverberating around the castings. You might have the same sound with different acoustics.

Hmm. Wouldn't have thought so cos using a screwdriver as a stethoscope, means I'm listening to a very localized spot.

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Hmm. Wouldn't have thought so cos using a screwdriver as a stethoscope, means I'm listening to a very localized spot.

Precisely. With all the airspace around a 2 cylinder head and then the pushrod tunnel before reaching a common crankcase with chain and breather at one end the design builds in difference.

48 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Precisely. With all the airspace around a 2 cylinder head and then the pushrod tunnel before reaching a common crankcase with chain and breather at one end the design builds in difference.

Good point.

I used to worry about odd noises from my Gard. In the end came to same conclusion. I'd like to know a bit more about what the stop lever does however. IF you stop engine by shoving it backwards but/ and before engine fully stops you push lever forward again does this affect anything?