Diesel on the Thames....best place/price??

frangar

Featured Posts

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for buying diesel on the Thames....I'm going downstream from Oxford and while not desperate it would be good to get some in the next few days. 

Ive had a look on diesel fibrefactory but sadly as ever the prices are a little old...I don't blame the host at all...just wish more people would send the info in!!...Some of the marina prices on there have made me shudder...I also fear that their fuel berths might be more suited to short shiny cruisers than a narrowboat.....

I've noticed there is a fuel boat who I will try and get hold of but it might be tricky trying to meet up mid stream. 

Any info gratefully received. 

There's not much diesel available on the Thames * until you get to Reading -  Better Boating, just below Caversham Lock who - I've found have consistently offered the best prices (sometimes in the summer they offer a discount to readers of "Towpath-tittle-tattle" magazine).

* I'm ignoring the yard above Eynsham, and Abingdon who tend to be more expensive.

Now that we're leaving the EU - perhaps we can get rid of the 60/40 nonsense which is unnecessary and a pain to administer....

I was thinking Better Boating looked narrowboat friendly plus they offer a discount to users of the guide im using!! 

At £1.60/litre I hope you get a full dinner service not just some glasses (I may be showing my age there.....)

I tend to use the hire fleet (Caversham Boat Services) on the island just below Caversham bridge. It may well be a few pence more expensive than Better Boating but if CBS sell buggy diesel their hire fleet will cost then dear. They also seem reasonable and helpful in respect of short term moorings.

I've found Nb Merchant

http://www.thamesdiesel.com/

moored up at Abingdon bridge and spoken to him....filling up in the morning...he's very flexible on the declaration and his fuel is pretreated with additive...price isn't too bad for down here at 88p/litre & I always prefer to use a fuel boat if possible even if it's a few pence more. 

Many thanks for everyone's suggestions  

PS I'm loving the EA self pumpouts!! CRT could learn a thing or two from them. Good value too!!

edited to fix the link

Edited by frangar

2 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

If you can get back on the Oxford Canal, College Cruisers are usually not too dear. Otherwise it's expensive all the way to Reading.

Thay have changed a bit then, I always thought they priced their diesel so you didnt disturb them. they were £1-10 in 2015 so dont know what they are now.

15 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

You could try the one at Abingdon, last summer they were 1p cheaper that the fuel boat.

Given that the fuel boat is next to me I think he will get my custom but thanks for the info. It might well help others searching at some point so any other thoughts are a good thing. 

All topped up with fuel....great service....very tidy boat and fuel set up...all the fuel is pretreated with Solartron....he also sells Excel solid fuel. Happy to take cards etc

Proabably worth a text to get hold of him...he's based in Staines but travels the full length of the non tidal Thames on a regular basis.

22 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thay have changed a bit then, I always thought they priced their diesel so you didnt disturb them. they were £1-10 in 2015 so dont know what they are now.

I think I paid about £1 last time there: not stunningly cheap, but much better than most of the places on the Thames (other than Reading).

Just add as we went past Better Boating the sign says 79p/litre domestic on any split. Mind you it looked like mooring by the pump could be amusing....as did most of Reading to be fair....couldn't get near the supposed 2 hour moorings at Tesco....full of boats that look like they have been there more than 2 years let alone 2 hours!! 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Just add as we went past Better Boating the sign says 79p/litre domestic on any split. Mind you it looked like mooring by the pump could be amusing....as did most of Reading to be fair....couldn't get near the supposed 2 hour moorings at Tesco....full of boats that look like they have been there more than 2 years let alone 2 hours!! 

Nobody wants to control the "Tesco" mooring, local council, nor Tesco themselves. It's not an EA mooring, so nowt happens.

Some of the 'residents' are friendly and will allow you to breast up - but you have to ask.

BB's pontoon is a challenge as the flow sweeps you off and there's rather less than 50ft (at the best of times) spare - but we manage it even if there's a bit of fresh in  the stream.  

6 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Nobody wants to control the "Tesco" mooring, local council, nor Tesco themselves. It's not an EA mooring, so nowt happens.

Some of the 'residents' are friendly and will allow you to breast up - but you have to ask.

BB's pontoon is a challenge as the flow sweeps you off and there's rather less than 50ft (at the best of times) spare - but we manage it even if there's a bit of fresh in  the stream.  

We decided we didn't need Tesco that much!! I must say the mooring of shall we say the less than shiny boat brigade surprises me on the Thames. 

16 hours ago, frangar said:

We decided we didn't need Tesco that much!! I must say the mooring of shall we say the less than shiny boat brigade surprises me on the Thames. 

It's an assumed  result of CaRT chasing folks of the canal system - or perhaps congestion in the London area. EA have shown themselves totally unable to control unregistered boats. In this case it's not their duty to control moorings which aren't their own - so nothing happens  

12 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

Tesco’s mooring has been a bit of a hit and miss for years what with the over stayers.

Just in case anyone is thinking of filling up with diesel at Thames & Kennet their pump is out of action.

I avoid T&Ks fuel because they insisted on a 60/40 split only - which insistence is unlawful and BBs pontoon is slightly easier to access.