Intermittent pump

Joa

Featured Posts

On 05/04/2017 at 23:02, system 4-50 said:

Chocolate digestives - essential for resolving any problem that takes more than a couple of hours.

And if the chocolate digestives don't work, step up to a good single malt...

Did you ever find the access point to the cabin bilge, the 'secret door'? Only asking as the bedroom is at the stern on our boat, and the secret door is hidden under a board in the bottom of the wardrobe.

hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for their help and advice.

it turns out that the leak was actually coming from the toilet (clean water not the holding tank). We have no idea how the water travelled from there to where it came up through the floor, but fixing that seems to have cured everything.

thank you all so much.

joa

2 hours ago, Joa said:

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for their help and advice.

it turns out that the leak was actually coming from the toilet (clean water not the holding tank). We have no idea how the water travelled from there to where it came up through the floor, but fixing that seems to have cured everything.

thank you all so much.

joa

So not on the heating at all?

Nope, which was why all the pipes were dry and dusty. We couldn't see anything near the toilet so guessed it wasn't there. Very wrong guess but thankfully my nephew found it and fixed it.

no doubt I'll be back with more problems soon though!!

• 5 months later...
On 01/04/2017 at 09:29, Joa said:

Thank you (tea and alcohol are in plentiful supply thankfully). 

Our pump is in the front cabin. It has flexible piping and joints inside the cupboard but then changes to copper for the rads along that side. 

I think, although can't guarantee that the leak is behind the tiled fireplace as that's the first sign of water .. either that or that's just the spot where it's coming out eventually. 

We didn't winterise the boat and I suspect our stupidity has allowed for a pipe to break. Please send stupid badges for us now!!

off back to marina now so will do the kitchen towel thing when we get there.

thank you all for your help and advice!

me and him *stupid idiots*

Previous message sent in error, Apologies for computer incompetence..we too are not yet winterised. we shot Home in the snow the other day leaving her on the Shroppie round the corner from yesterday’s coldest place in the country and only remembered a couple of days later that for the first time, we’d forgotten. Engine lister a/c so not an issue , heater has antifreeze in it. But water tank is 90% full and all taps are shut. Can’t get up for a couple of days yet. 

Have we had it, flooding guaranteed?

9 minutes ago, droshky said:

But water tank is 90% full and all taps are shut. Can’t get up for a couple of days yet. 

Have we had it, flooding guaranteed?

Suspect your tank will be ok, not sure about the pipes or accumulator. What are your pipes made from, and how cold did it get, have you got a calorifier or gas water heater? Is tank insulated, that will help.

Edited by rusty69

6 minutes ago, droshky said:

Hot water tank is well insulated. 2 little expansion tanks , don’t think so unless internally but both fairly new. Main water tank has split in the past and is not much insulated. Pipes are mostly plastic 

Also,did you leave the battery on.I.e will the water pump (assume its on demand) be powered up in the event of a pipe burst?

Its difficult to say whether you would have"got away with it".A lot will depend on the insulation of the boat,and obviously how cold it got inside, whether the boat was sheltered from the worst of the weather etc.

I would be very surprised if you have got away with it scot-free,but if you are lucky,and your tank hasn't suffered, the damage, may be minimal,especially if your system has some non return valves fitted.

Having plastic speed fit joints and no automatic domestic water pump will also help.

Good luck.Let us know the outcome.

Edited by rusty69

Mike the Boilerman advises tightening the stern gland every day when the boat is in use.I thought this only had to be done when dribbles of water appear under the propshaft.

Did you mean tighten the grease tap daily when the boat is in use ?

4 minutes ago, Furness said:

Mike the Boilerman advises tightening the stern gland every day when the boat is in use.I thought this only had to be done when dribbles of water appear under the propshaft.

Did you mean tighten the grease tap daily when the boat is in use ?

After every trip give the grease tap thingy a turn.

Edited by Robbo

On 17/12/2017 at 12:54, Furness said:

Mike the Boilerman advises tightening the stern gland every day when the boat is in use.

Where do I say that? Definitely wrong. I recommend tightening the stern gland greaser every day the boat is in use. Not the same thing at all!