It's finally happened

Featured Posts

Well ladies and gentlemen of Canalworld it has finally happened. We've been fouled! And the water in this pound is too low! So we've pulled up onto some stakes in the water as we wait for RCR in the morning. Oh, didn't I mention we're in a place called Newton Heath? 

I've read the stories and I eagerly await the morning, I'll post some updates if anything interesting happens

And there was me expecting yet another brexit thread..... :lol:

What do you mean by 'you've been fouled'? Where on earth is Newton Heath? Godforsaken north I'm imagining....

Once you've been stuck for a week, they generally send a RNLI lifeboat.

(If they don't tell you to wade ashore!)

You are indeed correct, Newton Heath is within Greater Manchester. Any forum search result under 'Newton Heath' displays a large amount of people saying to under no circumstances moor here.

We've a mattress caught around the propeller, it's twisted round there pretty good.

General updates: I've been dozing on and off but have heard a not insubstantial number or car horns and police sirens

Edited by FirstRateFirstMate
Spelling

The first (and last) time our prop was fouled in Newton Heath, it was a big piece of coir matting put in the cut  by British Waterways to promote plant growth . It was supposed to be tied to the stakes that you are moored to but had rolled into the channel. Some poking about with a shunter's pole (no weed hatch) cleared things ,so we motored on, butty behind. Couldn't travel breasted up as most lock gates wouldn't open fully. It's the Rochdale Canal for those from darn sarf who haven't guessed .

Bill

Oh heck - that's a rather bleak picture! Glad to hear you survived though, and I hope the combined resources are able to get you on your way very soon. Good luck!

ETA - your mooring lines are untidy and your cabin shaft is incorrectly stowed. You can't come on here with a name like that and miss these details. Now, whilst you're waiting for Thunderbird 2 to pitch up, take a bit of Brasso and some elbow grease to that mushroom vent! ;):D

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Greenie 2

Look on the bright side, it might be easier at the moment with no water around you to actually see what has fouled your prop rather than jabbing aimlessly through the weedhatch, not being able to see the offending item due to murky water :)

Oh heck!

I read your post last night and thought 'Why don't they just run a bit of water down ?'

I can see why not now.

Whats that to the right of the pic ? A dredgings tip ?

ETA I reckon you've got more pressing things on the agenda @pres. The Brasso can wait!

Edited by Victor Vectis

11 hours ago, FirstRateFirstMate said:

You are indeed correct, Newton Heath is within Greater Manchester. Any forum search result under 'Newton Heath' displays a large amount of people saying to under no circumstances moor here.

We've a mattress caught around the propeller, it's twisted round there pretty good.

General updates: I've been dozing on and off but have heard a not insubstantial number or car horns and police sirens

Confession time.  About 5 years ago, I got a mattress round my prop in Newton Heath.  Another forum member was coming the other way and we spent a fair while getting it off (wire + wadding is tough!)  The mattress was far too heavy to drag out so I let it drop back into the murky depths to die. It seems the mattress still lives and has attacked again!

12 minutes ago, FirstRateFirstMate said:

We have a set of bolt cutters on board and have done the best we can but some are just too tight. We're hoping that the engineer from RCR will bring an angle grinder

There's a lot of wire there which could easily be cut away.  Keep snipping at it and you'll find the tighter bits begin to loosen.  I reckon you could have that off in less than 2 hours.

5 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Confession time.  About 5 years ago, I got a mattress round my prop in Newton Heath.  Another forum member was coming the other way and we spent a fair while getting it off (wire + wadding is tough!)  The mattress was far too heavy to drag out so I let it drop back into the murky depths to die. It seems the mattress still lives and has attacked again!

SABOTAGE!

2 minutes ago, FirstRateFirstMate said:

SABOTAGE!

Having seen the mattress in your picture, I can safely say ours was bigger.  Mattress lobbing would seem to be a popular pastime in those parts.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Spring wire is usually hardened/toughened steel and tends to wreck wire cutters. 

One can buy special cable wire cutters with harder than normal blades...

I have a set of big bolt-cutters now.  Will go through anything.

On 30/03/2017 at 10:50, Dave_P said:

Having seen the mattress in your picture, I can safely say ours was bigger.  Mattress lobbing would seem to be a popular pastime in those parts.

I have a set of big bolt-cutters now.  Will go through anything.

Ah but have you tried wielding them within the confines of a weedhatch? Small  is infinitely better...

On 29/03/2017 at 20:00, FirstRateFirstMate said:

Well ladies and gentlemen of Canalworld it has finally happened. We've been fouled! And the water in this pound is too low!

I'd suggest one of these is a direct result of the other...

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah but have you tried wielding them within the confines of a weedhatch? Small  is infinitely better...

Depends on how big your weedhatch is, surely?