Installing new batteries

Sisco n Pu

Featured Posts

I'm trying to install new batteries. My old batteries only ever put out 11volt 

i tried yesterday but stoped. Please see my diagrams to help me know where to bolt the ? Wires to the new batteries. (Not accurate diagram drawn from memory)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd prefer ask them to do something really stupid 

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

May I suggest that in view of the need to ask the question that you 'get someone in' to :

1) Find out why your old batteries never went above 11 volts

2) To wire in your new batteries.

Where is the "?" cable connected to at the other end ?

Your drawing appears to have the "?" wires connected to the 'negative' side of the batteries, nothing connected to the 'positive' side and then both positive & negative connected to 'earth'.

Sparks will fly !!!!

Your drawing appears to show two batteries, one of which has four terminals ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Sorry drawing is wrong for the terminals.    The top terminals on the old batteries had the ? Wires on a separate screw on the - side black. Those cables run into the boat electrical cubboard I think. 

But the new batteries don't have another screw bit on the terminal. 

Also on the final batterie at the back it's the same again with the ? Wire but on the positive side 

4 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You need some of these... 

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1324/product/vs-020.aspx and

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/product/vs-032.aspx

Where you got the batteries from should have them if they are a marine outlet.

Yep got them. There on the joining cables to each batter. Can I add the ? Wire to them 

8 minutes ago, Sisco n Pu said:

Yep got them. There on the joining cables to each batter. Can I add the ? Wire to them 

Who knows?  Where do the ? wires go to?

if you simply replicate what you had before (forget what the terminals look like, you're only concerned with + and - of each battery, not their physical characteristics) then you'll have the same set up as before. 

The + and - feeds to the boat, shown as both coming from one battery should ideally be separated so that one of them comes from the other battery. 

You need to know (not guess) why your old batteries never got above 11V otherwise your new ones will follow suit in short order. 

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Who knows?  Where do the ? wires go to?

if you simply replicate what you had before (forget what the terminals look like, you're only concerned with + and - of each battery, not their physical characteristics) then you'll have the same set up as before. 

The + and - feeds to the boat, shown as both coming from one battery should ideally be separated so that one of them comes from the other battery. 

You need to know (not guess) why your old batteries never got above 11V otherwise your new ones will follow suit in short order. 

I think it's because my old batteries could be 6 plus years old 

I will return to the boat now and post pictures. 

I did follow suit as the last setup. But don't know where these earth wires should go on the new batteries 

On 29/03/2017 at 09:30, Sisco n Pu said:

I'm trying to install new batteries. My old batteries only ever put out 11volt 

STOP RIGHT THERE.

You MUST find out why before connecting new batteries. New batteries will quickly revert to this behaviour too unless you fix the underlying fault. 

14 minutes ago, Sisco n Pu said:

I think it's because my old batteries could be 6 plus years old

Nope. It's more likely because they were abused in some way. You need to know, not guess, why (yes I know I've already said this) otherwise your new batteries will follow suit. 

Edited by WotEver
Autoincorrect

7 minutes ago, Sisco n Pu said:

So from this photo can you see how do I connect this wite to the new batterie

IMG_0697.JPG

On the stud with the others.   However you should keep to a max of around 2 large cables to a stud and then use bus bars if have more.  However as most will not do that, Large cable terminals go closest to the battery with small ones at the top of the stud.  If you have no room on the stud then bus bars are the best solution.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Sisco n Pu said:

cool so I can do that. 

How would I put the last battery on 

image.jpg

You'll need to put a terminal on the end of the cable to make it go onto a stud (or replace the cable) - more likely you will need someone to do this for you as you will need the correct clamping tool.  The method you're pointing too on the old battery is a BSS failure.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Sisco n Pu said:

Can I put a bus bar on the new battery redcap in the bottom of the photo then bolt all from the old onto the new?

Bus bars are basically a copper bar with studs on them that you bolt cables too, they are for making many connections to a single point.    As you only have 3 connections to that one I would still use the battery stud thing like.    If you want to tidy all the connections up for the batteries to be "right" then I would have someone to look at the lot, or if you're technically minded (you don't strike me as that type of person?) we can dig out some documents for learning.

6303_450_450.jpg

You will still need to replace that cable terminal no matter.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

On 29/03/2017 at 12:08, Robbo said:

You'll need to put a terminal on the end of the cable to make it go onto a stud (or replace the cable) - more likely you will need someone to do this for you as you will need the correct clamping tool.  The method you're pointing too on the old battery is a BSS failure.

Is it? Why?

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it? Why?

Applicability – battery terminals fitted with screw clamps are acceptable if the cable strands are protected by the use of spreader plates or tinned cable ends in the terminal.

I know Robbo answered during my 'search' but having gone to the trouble to cut & paste from the 'rules' I am posting it anyway.

It makes you wonder how many boaters actually read the 'rules' when preparing their boat for the examination.

On 29/03/2017 at 12:50, Alan de Enfield said:

Applicability – battery terminals fitted with screw clamps are acceptable if the cable strands are protected by the use of spreader plates or tinned cable ends in the terminal.

I know Robbo answered during my 'search' but having gone to the trouble to cut & paste from the 'rules' I am posting it anyway.

It makes you wonder how many boaters actually read the 'rules' when preparing their boat for the examination.

Ok thanks.

Another great example of the BSS interfering in non-safety related specifications. Another being mandatory labels on fuel and pump-out tank caps. And to certain extent, gas lockers.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok thanks.

Another great example of the BSS interfering in non-safety related specifications. Another being mandatory labels on fuel and pump-out tank caps. And to certain extent, gas lockers.

We had one examiner insist we put stickers next to the caps saying water, fuel and pump out. His excuse was that the caps could be lost or mixed up. Well so could the stickers surely :rolleyes:

Needless to say we didn't use him next time and the stickers were quickly removed.

Back on topic. I think it would be wise for the OP to find someone who knows what they are doing to sort his batteries out.

And also to go on a basic boat maintenance course as they seem to know bugger all about boats.

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok thanks.

Not in this case tho, the crimp and bolt method is a much better method of securing cables than a screw threw the cable method.  I've seen plenty of old cars where the battery cable has come loose or come away at this connection.  With a boat you have a very large amount of amps and a good number of connections  just waiting to be freed which are also are not fused so if one came loose it can cause issues.