Running engine etiqeutte

sniffy

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There is a mind numbingly boring game called " Cricket " it is mind numbingly boring to watch ( think snooker on a black and white tv but worse ) and therefore beggars belief that it can be listened to on the wireless but it seems this is a fact.

Long ago I only had a black and white TV and discovered that my daughter, who was maybe 5 or 6 at the time, like watching the snooker. Amazingly she could tell the colours of the balls. I guess she he matched the shades of grey to the colours in commentary.

............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Long ago I only had a black and white TV and discovered that my daughter, who was maybe 5 or 6 at the time, like watching the snooker. Amazingly she could tell the colours of the balls. I guess she he matched the shades of grey to the colours in commentary.

............Dave

I bet she was too bright to listen to cricket though :D

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

I think it works because its a quintessential almost painfully English tradition,  that can require almost no concentration but acts as a background rumble to normal everyday tasks, with the occasional moments of outstanding humour

You could say that about 90% of the output of Radio 4.

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Possibly and as its the only station I listen to during the day I would say its a gem to be treasured :)

I agree 100% it's up there with the National Trust, Ordnance Survey, and of course the canal system ie things the rest of the world are green with envy about.

But I still think most of us use R4 as what psychologists call security or comfort zones eg I have no interest at all in gardening but I have to listen to GQT and get very upset if I miss it.  Same with the Archers I haven't the faintest idea who anyone is even though I've been listening to it for over 30 years.  I have latched onto the storyline about women and the cricket team but only because it is laughably ridiculous.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont know? maybe you are pissed when you watch it and your mind plays games? :D

Do not judge others by yourself. I never drink in the daytime (well, on only two days of the year).

It occurs to me that this topic has wandered rather charmingly and arrived far away from the original subject. Not unlike Test Match Special, come to think of it.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

............Dave

The key is to know the position of the balls at the start of the match, and keep track of where they are on the table if disturbed. Of course, if a colour is potted, its normally respotted onto its own place (with defined rules if this is occupied). If a player smashes the balls all over the place, I curse at the telly. Well, used to, I now have a colour one.

40 minutes ago, Athy said:

It occurs to me that this topic has wandered rather charmingly and arrived far away from the original subject.

I was thinking about that as well and was wondering what the OP has made of it all.

And now we have an 'Archers' reference too.

:)

4 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I was thinking about that as well and was wondering what the OP has made of it all.

And now we have an 'Archers' reference too.

:)

Speaking as the OP, I am amazed at the response to what I thought was a fairly straight forward question !!

Thanks for all the responses, supportive and not, and for opening my eyes to how a forum like this works

All enlightening thank-you !!

6 minutes ago, sniffy said:

Speaking as the OP, I am amazed at the response to what I thought was a fairly straight forward question !!

Thanks for all the responses, supportive and not, and for opening my eyes to how a forum like this works

What was the question?

;)

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

I agree 100% it's up there with the National Trust, Ordnance Survey, and of course the canal system ie things the rest of the world are green with envy about.

But I still think most of us use R4 as what psychologists call security or comfort zones eg I have no interest at all in gardening but I have to listen to GQT and get very upset if I miss it.  Same with the Archers I haven't the faintest idea who anyone is even though I've been listening to it for over 30 years.

Apparently the Shipping Forecast has a legion of devotees amongst people who never go to sea and have no interest in ships.

Just now, Athy said:

Apparently the Shipping Forecast has a legion of devotees amongst people who never go to sea and have no interest in ships.

Considering my previous comments about the joys of radio 4 I am sure you wouldn't be supprised to know I have a very soft spot for the shipping forcast,  pure poetry

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What was the question?

;)

No-one knows. That's what they built the super computer called The Earth for - to work out the question.

We are due to find out the question in about two millenia IIRC...

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, dmr said:

............Dave

OR....

Like my method of completing The Telegraph crossword in less than ten minutes, she 'could' have been blagging you by just making the colours up (knowing you were in no position to argue)!

13 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Except for Athy, apparently.  Has he not achieved full modhood yet, or does he just need to be loved?

What do you mean? I do award greenoes but I can't be awarded them - isn't that the same for all the moddies?

3 minutes ago, sniffy said:

Back to your original question "was I wrong....?"

Well, the answer is yes and no.  It's a grey area.  Running an engine after 8.00pm is usually wrong unless you're far away on your own, but as we've discussed, engine sounds can carry a long way.  I don't buy any arguments about running engines late in an emergency.  Humans managed perfectly well without electricity for a fair few years...

As for running engines in the daytime, it's an even greyer area.  Some folk on here are keen to defend their rights as a boater to run engines from 8.00am -8.00pm if they wish.  Some point out that the T&Cs require that you don't cause a nuisance so mooring near houses precludes running engines at all.

Currently, I'm moored in Alrewas.  I'm just up from the river lock on the VMs.  I also just bought a new genny and that's exciting for me because i can now do some washing.  I'm around my boat all day tomorrow so will be wanting to run the genny for that purpose.  I'm not opposite any houses but close enough that they'd hear.  When I moored up, there were no visiting boats, but there are now and there's permanent moorings opposite.  Should I run my genny tomorrow?  Maybe, maybe not.  I could move on to somewhere quieter, but if I do that, I'll be on the river level which doesn't appeal to me since it's on yellow boards.  I could go on even further to Barton Turn but there'll be other moored boats etc there.  Also my partner is coming over tomorrow afternoon and expecting me to be at Alrewas.  

So, I'll wait until about 9.00am and run the genny for a couple of hours and then turn it off.  That seems to be a fair compromise and one which i would expect would be ok under the T&Cs.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Do not judge others by yourself. I never drink in the daytime (well, on only two days of the year).

What are the two days? Your birthday and not your birthday?:D

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

P.S. I'll back in a while. I'm just watching 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath on my record player...

I assume that from that very record you lifted the Vertigo logo as your Avatar Mike ^_^

Still one of my favourites, even after 40 or so years...

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What are the two days? Your birthday and not your birthday?:D

Absolutely correct: my birthday (always have pub lunch in Cambridge with best friend ) and Christmas Day (always walk down to the pub at the end of our road). They're but three days apart so I go quite a long time between lunchtime drinks.

38 minutes ago, Ratkatcher said:

I assume that from that very record you lifted the Vertigo logo as your Avatar Mike ^_^

Still one of my favourites, even after 40 or so years...

Curiously no, I first encountered that hypnotic image iin the centre of an LP by an obsure band who never made it big. They were called May Blitz and the album was "The 2nd of May". Just as heavy as Black Sabbath so I can see why Vertigo signed them. I played that album until the grooves came through on the other side. Fantastic sleeve design too, weird kreepy pen and ink creatures...

6360-037-outer.jpg