Identifying sections of hull

hackenbush

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And it gets even more confusing if instead of the left side of the boat being on the right side of the river, its on the wrong side.

Right. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you know why ?

I know of several (incorrect) theories which have already been posted here. I didn't know the true origin of the word 'Posh' (17th century gypsies) until I just looked for the Snopes article to debunk the boating theories. 

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/posh.asp

4 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Originally it would have been port side & steer board side; this is because early sailing vessels had a rudder board mounted on one side rather than centrally (take a look at a Viking long boat or similar era vessel). 

When docking you would keep the steer board on the off side so that it didn't get damaged against the dock, hence steer board side facing away from the bank and port side against the dock. This is probably why boats still pass port side to port side, passing steer board to steer board side could risk damage to the non existent steer board side rudder.

(snip)

Although the steer board could be swopped from side to side. (Normally used on the downwind side.)

As I heard it, originally there was starboard (steering board) and larboard (loading board) - possibly with board meaning "side" as in the French "bord" rather than the English "board" - but they changed to using Port instead of Larboard when they found there was too much confusion when it was shouted to the steerer in a gale.

4 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Originally it would have been port side & steer board side; this is because early sailing vessels had a rudder board mounted on one side rather than centrally (take a look at a Viking long boat or similar era vessel). 

When docking you would keep the steer board on the off side so that it didn't get damaged against the dock, hence steer board side facing away from the bank and port side against the dock.

how do you know that?  you weren't there.  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, stegra said:

A tan was a mark of the lower classes.

Funny how fashion changes. Pale skin meant you weren't a worker. Obesity meant you could afford to eat well, and rotten teeth meant you could afford expensive sugar. So pallid, fat and toothless meant you were hot stuff. Form an orderly queue!

Still is. Both my daughters work in the retail business in cosmetics and they say its amazing the number of chinese people coming into shops to buy makeup that makes them look 'white', meaning that they didn't work out in the fields, so they look like either stay at homes or work in offices making them seem wealthy compared to the ordinary plebs. Most of these cosmetics are then sent back to China.

2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Don't you mean Floati the boat builder?

I used to know a plumber who everyone referred to as Leaky, with good reason. Could be an appropriate name for a boatbuilder too.

Note mine, I hope... I've got good faith in old Sinky

18 hours ago, stegra said:

I used to know a plumber who everyone referred to as Leaky, with good reason. Could be an appropriate name for a boatbuilder too.

Note mine, I hope... I've got good faith in old Sinky

now you're really going back into pre-history.  I believe Leaky lived about a million years ago, in Africa.  How come you're still alive?

Edited by Murflynn

In the working days  port/starboard or left/right I cant remember being used,tied up a lot of times the side to the bank was the "in" side this could change as it depended which side was to the bank,when the boat was under way steering instructions were always either "Hold In" or "Hold Out." "In" was towards the tow path "Out"was away This was more confusing to beginners as the tow path changed sides it seemed more used in the Northern waterways

6 hours ago, X Alan W said:

In the working days  port/starboard or left/right I cant remember being used,tied up a lot of times the side to the bank was the "in" side this could change as it depended which side was to the bank,when the boat was under way steering instructions were always either "Hold In" or "Hold Out." "In" was towards the tow path "Out"was away This was more confusing to beginners as the tow path changed sides it seemed more used in the Northern waterways

What happens on sections with tow path both sides?

34 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

What happens on sections with tow path both sides?

Good point, although the most of my working was T&M ,Shroppie , S&W  which were mostly single towpaths although working the BCN  with double towpaths even in those days only the passage through the gauging stop locks was keep right Wolverhampton to Brum & keep left the other direction the side nearest to the passable narrows was considered the tow path side the usual was for info for visiting boatman working empty to advise where the deep water channel was, loaded correctly (a bit down by the head) was not a problem as the boat/s would follow the channel & as there were not the short length shallow draft boats as there are today (cutting the corners)it could more or less be known where the channel was. The other thing was the number of inexperienced folk afloat was a lot fewer so most boats you were likely to meet would have an idea as to what was required I am not knocking as things have changed a great deal.

On 03/04/2017 at 10:38, roland elsdon said:

All boats have a wibbly bit . A good surveyor will find it. On repair another bit will promptly attain wibbly bit status.. Even new boats have wibbly bits, on the best it's hard to spot on the worst its blindingly obvious

How very true!

Sometimes though, on inspection the whole boat is found to be wibbly.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 21:31, Alan de Enfield said:

No -that's his brother.

Floki was 'the go to man if you didn't want RCD compliance' and he subsequently taught 'Bee'  (see RCD thread) all he knew

http://vikings.wikia.com/wiki/Floki

Floki was b***** useless, he tried to weld wood and nail steel plates together.

• 2 weeks later...