Downlighter Replacement

Alan Wheeler

Featured Posts

One recessed ceiling downlighter has failed and I would like to replace it. However, I tried to carefully remove it and there seemed to be some resistance. I got sight of a spring-like mechanism on the recessed body of the light fixture.

The light fitting is a circular downlighter with a chrome bezel and opaque lens. I think it is a LED fitting.

I know this is very little information to go on, but can anyone suggest how to remove this light fitting, what is the potential resistance and the best place to get an exact replacement? I'm worried I'll damage the ceiling or wiring.

Thanks

Alan

You simply pull the downlight down and you'll see the two springs that are holding it in place as it lowers. When you have the room to get your fingers onto the springs pull them together to release the tension and the lamp will drop out with no damage. 

Google will be your friend to find one that looks the same, particularly if you have a makers name on the one you pull out. 

Yeah. It probably has springs that fold down like bird's wings. If it's in some kind of board it probably won't damage it on removal. You prise down one side until the spring is free and then push it in that direction to get the other side out. The pull it down gently and hold both springs, trying not to let them snap back like a mousetrap on your fingers. When they're in plasterboard they can pull big chunks away with them.