CRT 'Emergency' number'

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Dont worry crt get phone calls from me at 10.30 at night saying the pound is empty and im stuck im single handed and have no way of getting off. Ive had a few people come out be it they were prob anoyed at tyring to get a 3 foot + deep boat off the bottom at 11pm at night in winter but they will help even its its not life threatening at weekends

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

0800 4799947. This is the webpage under discussion: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/contacting-us-in-an-emergency

I have the number programmed into the phone and my attitude to using it is the same as the 999 number. "If in doubt, call us out."

Thats not to encourage irresponsible calls, of course, but far better in a dodgy situation of any kind to default to letting the call handler decide on the most appropriate response. That's what they're trained for, or should be.

Thanks to you and Ditchcrawler - 0800 47 999 47 it is!

I wiil put it in my phone and hope I don't need it.

I've emailed Damian Kemp at CRT, drawing his attention to this thread and the odd phrasing of the webpage. Had a quick response, he's passed the comment on to the person responsible for that page and says he's puzzled by the concept of a non-urgent emergency too.

He may give it some coverage in a Boaters Update as well.

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I expect they meant to say non life-threatening emergency :blink:

Judging by what has been said here, how do we know what CRT call an emergency, or non-emergency, or non life-threatening emergency?  If here is a list they should tell us (perhaps they do - is it in the T&C's?). The problem would be solved by a number to ring 24/7 for all types of incident (print it on the License) - and let them put us through to the right department or tell us the right number to call.

20 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

The emergency CaRT numbers that I have on my phone are :-

Peak period 03030 40 40 40

Off peak period 0800 47 999 47

I have used both these numbers recently.

I have just used 03030 40 40 40 to renew my mooring and cruising license - so that works!

40 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

The emergency CaRT numbers that I have on my phone are :-

Peak period 03030 40 40 40

Off peak period 0800 47 999 47

I have used both these numbers recently.

The first isn't an emergency number, it's the general multipurpose CRT number.  It isn't very effective at getting things done, either, unless you're lucky and get someone who knows what they're doing, after you jump through various hoops and wait for ages.

And the second isn't just 'off peak' but it does seem to get their attention.

I think some people are genuinly concerned that they are wasting the emergency services time sometimes - that's sometimes good, sometimes not so good - I listen to Radio 2 in my office on the fire station, and I remember once hearing "Sally Traffic" warning people about a serious accident on a nearby A road - made me wonder how serious as we hadn't been called, and then about 2 minutes later the bells went down for us to attend the exact same RTC which was multiple people trapped. Someone had actually called the traffic line at Radio 2 before dialling 999!

Anyway, back on topic - the CRT website on this matter made me chuckle - it says.... " When the situation is urgent, but not an emergency - please call our 24 hour emergency contact number." - so - if it's not an emergency, we're to call their emergency number.

1 hour ago, Robster said:

the CRT website on this matter made me chuckle - it says.... " When the situation is urgent, but not an emergency - please call our 24 hour emergency contact number." - so - if it's not an emergency, we're to call their emergency number

And if it's a non-urgent emergency... you call the emergency number. 

So...

• emergencies - call the number
  • non-urgent emergencies - call the number 
  • urgent non-emergencies - call the number

Doesn't that just make it the out of hours number?

This month I have used that number (8004799947) twice, to report empty pounds.

Once at Bascote staircase and once on the Napton flight.

On both occasions I commenced letting water down before reporting the situation and my actions to remedy it.

My use of the number was not called into question.

If I need to report issues on the system, it's the number I always use.

Rog

On 29/03/2017 at 18:23, Robster said:

I think some people are genuinly concerned that they are wasting the emergency services time sometimes - that's sometimes good, sometimes not so good - I listen to Radio 2 in my office on the fire station, and I remember once hearing "Sally Traffic" warning people about a serious accident on a nearby A road - made me wonder how serious as we hadn't been called, and then about 2 minutes later the bells went down for us to attend the exact same RTC which was multiple people trapped. Someone had actually called the traffic line at Radio 2 before dialling 999!

The effect at work here is the tendency for people on the scene to assume someone must already have called the emergency services, so no need for them to do so themselves. 

3 hours ago, Robster said:

Can you dial 999 while you shoot a video :-) 

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

And if it's a non-urgent emergency... you call the emergency number. 

So...

• emergencies - call the number
  • non-urgent emergencies - call the number 
  • urgent non-emergencies - call the number

Doesn't that just make it the out of hours number?

No.  Because it's an all hours number! :)