Keelblack or Ballistic Black

Titan

Featured Posts

If you choose to use new or uncommon products then there is not going to be a lot good feedback on how well they do, and even if one or even two people do reply that is not likely to be statistically reliable, this why its called the bleeding edge of technology (expensive mistakes are made).

In your situation I would go for the ballistic black as I think it is of a more conventional formulation, however as the stuff itself is usually only a small part of the overall cost you could just go out and get a pot of more conventional stuff.

................Dave

1 hour ago, Bloomsberry said:

You're right, very similar titles which is very confusing !

Trouble is, if the OP (Titan) had read the other thread he might have held back on ordering Keelblack pending further reports. Keelblack looks almost too good to be true, and I'm sure many of us, Titan above included now, are rather hoping we don't find out it is.

2 hours ago, Martin Megson said:

As Titan started both threads I assume he has read it 

Yeah, I spotted that as I read further threads last night. It was a bit late to go back and find this thread to edit and I didn't quite know what to make of it to be honest. Are there two Titans? Does he not read the answers to his own questions?  I expect it was just a timing thing really. The important question here though is whether the active ingredient in Keelblack is snake oil! (I hope it's not)

1 minute ago, Martin Megson said:

I hope not too as I blacked my Hull with it last year. Seems ok so far can't really tell while it's in the water 

I for one, and I'm sure many others, are grateful to you early adopters for testing this stuff. Only time will tell – if your blacking is looking good in two years time it will be at least equal to the usual stuff.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

I for one, and I'm sure many others, are grateful to you early adopters for testing this stuff. Only time will tell – if your blacking is looking good in two years time it will be at least equal to the usual stuff.

Thanks.  I did quite a bit of research including chatting with the owner of the Phoosticks, the boat in one of the company's web site case studies.  His was looking good after 12 months. Mine was applied indoors in summer with 24 hrs between coats and 48 hrs after the final coat before going back in.

22 hours ago, Martin Megson said:

Thanks.  I did quite a bit of research including chatting with the owner of the Phoosticks, the boat in one of the company's web site case studies.  His was looking good after 12 months. Mine was applied indoors in summer with 24 hrs between coats and 48 hrs after the final coat before going back in.

Doesn't sound like any saving of time on the dock over Comastic or Intertuf. For how long was the boat out of the water altogether?

How does the price compare with those materials?

10 hours ago, Rickent said:

Did you treat any rusty bits before applying keelblack and how long did you leave them before applying.

Yes. Applied Fertan and left for 24hrs 

50 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Doesn't sound like any saving of time on the dock over Comastic or Intertuf. For how long was the boat out of the water altogether?

How does the price compare with those materials?

The boat was out of the water for 9 days. The boatyard I used, Oundle Marina on the river Nene, charge a set price for the job and not a daily rate for the space. The keel black cost £160 for 25L - Intertuff would be around £200.  The yard used around 15L so I have plenty for touching up.

The marina cost was £750 for:

Lift out and back in
Pressure Wash 
Move into and use of workshop
Apply rust treatment
Apply 3 coats of Keelblack (which I provided)

Timescale:
Tues Lift out and Pressure wash
Wed Rust Treatment
Thu 
Fri. 1st Coat
Sat
Sun
Mon. 2nd Coat
Tues 3rd Coat
Wed 
Thu  Back in water

2013-207.thumb.jpg.e377482360e1587c28c87f104854e856.jpg