Ellesmere to Ellesmere

Mrs Panda

Featured Posts

In a week we will be taking Ellesmere to Ellesmere Port.

Starting at The Venetian Marina - Cholmondeston to obviously Ellesmere Port. ;)

Would be very grateful if anyone would give us tips on where best to moor, and good pubs that sell real ale if poss!!! :cheers: any shops for provisions etc....

Oh and does anyone know how to pronounce Cholmondeston...

Many thanks

Mrs Panda

Obviously Chester is the place for all your provisions. I've heard conflicting stories about where to moor, and where not to moor in Chester. We've moored both below and above the Chester staircase, both times without problems.

And, by the way, you pronounce it... Chol-er-mond-er-ston.

In a week we will be taking Ellesmere to Ellesmere Port.

Starting at The Venetian Marina - Cholmondeston to obviously Ellesmere Port. :captain:

Would be very grateful if anyone would give us tips on where best to moor, and good pubs that sell real ale if poss!!! :cheers: any shops for provisions etc....

Oh and does anyone know how to pronounce Cholmondeston...

Many thanks

Mrs Panda

Hello Mrs Panda

Cholmondeston I've heard it pronounced like " Chumston & another local place Cholmonderly -- " Chumbly.

(Talkin pubs canalside or short stumble)

At the end of the end of the Middlewhich branch is a "T" junction dead ahead is the Jolly Tar (Beer unkown Rums good)

Turning left (headin for Hurleston / Ellesmere) just around the bend is The Barbridge Inn ( Beer unknown, good grub & Rums good)

Turnin right headin for Chester / Ellesmere port, there was a pub at Calverly its closed down now. ( Rum was not good.)

Shady Oak is next was a brilliant pub. to cut a long story short,

The Landlord last year had the canal dug out to make a small marina / mooring to accommodate the number of boaters that visited the pub excellent beer good grub & very fine rum. BWB didn't like the way it went about filled in the pit & gave him a bill for 30,000 pound. The next day he absconded to gods knows where.

The pub has been taken over by a couple of ..... how can I put it..... 2 men souf o Watford, they like their clientelle to sip expensive wine. Needless to say you won't get a rum in their never mind real ale. You won't see a boat their. If you do take pic & post it.

Next is the Trooper at Christleton beers good foods good rums good.

then you enter Chester plenty of pubs, Recommend if you stay the night in Chester go down the Northgate staircase & tie up OPPOSITE "Telfords Wharf" (its a pub).

On toward Ellesmere Port there aren't any pubs canalside. you pass Croughton linear moorings after a few bridges down there is the Bunbury arms about a 1 minute walk. Excellent beers try the Cains better still try the Rum.

Its a shame I'm stuck here in the middle of the North Sea for the next 2 weeks my boat is moored at Croughton. I would av chucked a barrel or 2 across. (rum that is).

As for shops no idea not my department But there is a big Sainsbutty near the Trooper. ;)

Have Fun

Many thanks Captain Haddock,

I got the feeling that you are rather partial to rum :cheers:

It's exactly what we were looking for. - Mr Panda fell off the sofa laughing when he got to Sainsbutty.

Will take pic if we see any boats at the Shady Oak and will report back!

We will be in the same area at the end of August going from Venitian marina to Llangollen and back, don't know if we pass you on that route, haven't looked that up yet, but maybe we can exchange a barrel of rum if you are around then. :unsure:

Mrs Panda

Many thanks Captain Haddock,

Mrs Panda

It's exactly what we were looking for. - Mr Panda fell off the sofa laughing ..........

:unsure::cheers:

Bamboo Rum ........yumyum.

Me thinks I recognise your boat " Ellesmere", Dartline build if I'm correct. Designed in mind for the Llangollen and you have the bow "lift bridge" deflector bars removed.

Take care.

Edited by Captain Haddock

:unsure::cheers:

Bamboo Rum ........yumyum.

Me thinks I recognise your boat " Ellesmere", Dartline build if I'm correct. Designed in mind for the Llangollen and you have the bow "lift bridge" deflector bars removed.

Take care.

Not sure about Dartline build (don't know what that means :cheers: ), but yes the bars have been removed and she is an ex hire boat from the Ellesmere area so built for the Llangollen would be about right. Harbour Marine were the buiders.

Not sure about Dartline build (don't know what that means :cheers: ), but yes the bars have been removed and she is an ex hire boat from the Ellesmere area so built for the Llangollen would be about right. Harbour Marine were the buiders.

Dartline was the hire company, you'll pass their old boatyard (now taken over by Anglo-Welsh Boat hire) when you go down the Bunbury staircase on you're way to Chester. . :unsure: mmm rum flavour

Hi Mrs Panda,

A good place to stop is below Beeston Iron Lock. Handy for the Beeston Castle Hotel, good food and proper beer.

There is also a small general shop that sells practically anything you might need.

Norman

Not sure about Dartline build (don't know what that means :unsure: ), but yes the bars have been removed and she is an ex hire boat from the Ellesmere area so built for the Llangollen would be about right. Harbour Marine were the buiders.

Do you still have the short upright tubes that the bars fitted into, just forward of the bow cockpit? If so, you could do what we did on our Harborough boat and have a steel disc welded to the top of each one to turn them into handy bollards - much easier to reach from the bank then the hig central T-stud.

Allan

Regarding the pronounciation, I think Tom Rolt referred to it in Narrow Baot as Chol-er-mon-dest-on? I think I remember he thought it would be called Chumston but was even more surprised to hear it pronounced with the extra 'er'....?

Well, having lived nearby for the last 20 years, I've heard various pronounciations. However the one that is the most common amongst the local population is Cholm - ston, which is very close to the Chumston mentioned previously and is probably interchangeable.. It certainly doesn't have the middle two syllables.

Do you still have the short upright tubes that the bars fitted into, just forward of the bow cockpit? If so, you could do what we did on our Harborough boat and have a steel disc welded to the top of each one to turn them into handy bollards - much easier to reach from the bank then the hig central T-stud.

Allan

No the tubes are not there, but that would have been a good idea, as it's not so easy to moor up the bow. My husband usually stands on the pointy bit and throws the rope to me to put round the pin. Or he tries to lassoo the pin while standing by the T stud!!! hoping the boat does not drift out in the process.

Thanks for all the pronouciations of the area - confused, I will be!!!!

If any one sees us from next Sat 9th, say hi. It is a family boat so others use it. You will know us 'cause we have two dogs.

Mrs Panda

On route you will pass by Chester Zoo. The canal at one time formed part of the boundary for the place and acted as a moat for some of the enclosures which usually containing benign furry creatures, but you could never be quite sure! I always had a slight concern that my engine may die on me along that stretch, that combined with an unfortunate wind direction, I mused that you could have an uninvited guest for diner on the back of your boat and probably not one who was a vegetarian.

No the tubes are not there, but that would have been a good idea, as it's not so easy to moor up the bow. My husband usually stands on the pointy bit and throws the rope to me to put round the pin. Or he tries to lassoo the pin while standing by the T stud!!! hoping the boat does not drift out in the process.

Mrs Panda

Hi, Mr & Mrs Panda when you pass my boat have a look at the bow, half way along the curves you will see "eyebolts" fitted port & stbd. They solve a lot of problems, SWMBO loves to use these instead of the "T". Especially when the cratch cover is on. Also ideal for attaching a spring rope. Fraid I havn't got a pic clear enuff to post.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/uploads/g...7_189_16724.jpg

By the way do you drive a Panda car. :unsure:

On route you will pass by Chester Zoo. The canal at one time formed part of the boundary for the place and acted as a moat for some of the enclosures which usually containing benign furry creatures, but you could never be quite sure! I always had a slight concern that my engine may die on me along that stretch, that combined with an unfortunate wind direction, I mused that you could have an uninvited guest for diner on the back of your boat and probably not one who was a vegetarian.

Ahha, I shall let you into a little secret, the canal has never formed part of the boundary or acted as a moat for any of the enclosures. The zoo is set too far back. What you have in between are fields that belong the MOD.

Secret bunkers & ammo dumps for the Cheshire regiment. If you look closely nowadays you can see some of the entrances.

Apologies realise you may be referrin to the squaddies :unsure:

Hi

Just bring up to date, the pub at Calvely has re-opened 2 weeks ago, not been yet, but the visitor mooring at the Chester end of the long term mooring (immediatly through the bridge) are just 100 yards from it and a lot quieter than at Barbridge junction and the Jolly Tar which is right alongside the A51.

david

Well, I'm all set now.

Just got back from the local brewery. 2 cases of beer for me and several bottles of wine for Mrs Panda.

Trouble is, we don't go till next weekend and I've got to resist drinking them :unsure:

Well, I'm all set now.

Just got back from the local brewery. 2 cases of beer for me and several bottles of wine for Mrs Panda.

Trouble is, we don't go till next weekend and I've got to resist drinking them :unsure:

Aye Aye Panda

You should leave the AA & join the AU. When you ave to resist a drink phone em up & they'll talk you into it. :cheers:

Hi,

By coincidence I was talking (by phone) to a chap in Venetian Chandlery today, and asked about the name, and he said it's said like it's spelt, and the other names/versions belong to nearby places and are wrongly used for their lock!!

I was at Beeston Castle last week, and the Shady Oak was highly recommended by a local chap we were chatting with.

The Pearson's guide says that the canal was part of the moat of Chester Castle, and it certainly runs at the foot of the castle wall just above the staircase!

Have fun!

Edited by Mary P

Hi,

The Pearson's guide says that the canal was part of the moat of Chester Castle, and it certainly runs at the foot of the castle wall just above the staircase!

Aye Mary

It certainly does, I fail to see your connection with Chester Castle. It's nowhere near Chester ZOO. read the post again.

No doubt about the Shady Oak maybe recommendable depends what you want. What I was saying, it's not popular anymore with boaters.

I pass it 8/10 times a year on average. Over the past year its been boat barren.

Gone are the days when you can nip in for a couple of drinks & meet your boating mates.

The new managers want you to have a sit down meal wether you are boater or local its doesn't matter.

I recall another local boater tellin me a local village resident who frequented regularly was asked to leave because he was not eating only drinking. Is that a pub as we know it. I think not.

It certainly doesn't have the middle two syllables. [/u]
Seconded.

No doubt the man in the chandlery is from Birkenhead :cheers:

Pandas, pls do a recky & post an update about the Shady Oak. I''ll pay for yer drinks (rum only) but not the meal. :unsure: ,

ps sorry bout the qoute boxes not got the hang of em yet.

Aye Mary

It certainly does, I fail to see your connection with Chester Castle. It's nowhere near Chester ZOO. read the post again.

Hi :unsure:,

No big deal - was just following the comment re moat. Don't know about the Zoo having a moat at all, but was in Chester last Thursday, and enjoyed the canal passing below the city walls. :cheers:

Pandas, pls do a recky & post an update about the Shady Oak. I''ll pay for yer drinks (rum only) but not the meal. :cheers: ,

Will do, I don't need much of an excuse to go to a pub/restaurant! Just ask Mr Panda - especially if he's paying :cheers:

Afterwards can I say to them I am a food and drink critic for the forum!!! :unsure: (Rum Ice cream of course for yourself and brandy flavour for me!)

I''ll pay for yer drinks (rum only) (Quote) - maybe I can get a liking to rum....mmm :cheers:

Will report back

Mrs Panda

I believe the Shady Oak went through a very dodgy patch, but I remember it in it's former days. We stayed there overnight one time many years ago, it happened to be a new landlords first night and there were very few of us in the place, he struggled for hours getting the settings right on all the beers, as he pulled dozens of them off he would simply stack them on the bar for customer appraisal we tottered out in the early hours not having spent a penny.

Some of you seem to be getting confused about the zoo, it is quite a distance outside of Chester, it didn't have a moat but the canal formed part of the boundary and acted as one. Not sure that the walls had a moat either until the canal was built.