Is Birmingham going downhill as a destination?....

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, mross said:

To see the context of this quote (I picked one at random) you can click on the arrow to the right of title.

Oh yeah! Thanks!

That takes away my last objection to removal of post numbers. Almost....

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Getting back off topic, the reason I like post numbers stated when someone quotes the post is so I can easily go back and read the quotation in context.

You mean by linking to the post like we've been hanging on about for several pages like this?

There seems to be a rose-tinted view of Birmingham sometimes, in a boating sense. I have loved my trips through Birmingham; full of interest and character and the tunnels and locks add their own interest. But precautions about where to moor and leave the boat should be taken as with any other large urban area. There are potential problem areas for boaters in Birmingham just as there are in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and London.

As for mooring in the city centre, I wouldn't say Castlefield or Salthouse Dock are any worse for leaving the boat than in the centre of B'ham.

Edited by Philip

4 hours ago, Philip said:

There seems to be a rose-tinted view of Birmingham sometimes, in a boating sense. I have loved my trips through Birmingham; full of interest and character and the tunnels and locks add their own interest. But precautions about where to moor and leave the boat should be taken as with any other large urban area. There are potential problem areas for boaters in Birmingham just as there are in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and London.

As for mooring in the city centre, I wouldn't say Castlefield or Salthouse Dock are any worse for leaving the boat than in the centre of B'ham.

I'm not sure that the precautions regarding where to moor and leave a boat apply only to large urban areas, they apply to everywhere. Personally I wouldn't consider leaving the boat moored unattended out in the sticks anywhere with no other boats moored nearby. I'm more than happy to moor up in such a location and stay there if I'm on the boat however. A boat left unattended has a level of risk(albeit statistically small otherwise our insurance premiums would skyrocket) wherever you leave it, the risk is reduced if there are other boats moored nearby. For this reason I would suggest that the centre of Birmingham around the Barclaycard Arena/Brindley Place area is probably as safe as you are going to be anywhere since there are often a few other boats around and quite a lot of people legitimately passing. It takes a determined vandal to operate with an audience.

The point I was highlighting when making my original comments was the lack of concern by the perpetrators that there was someone on the boat at the time when they were throwing stones, spitting, banging on the boat, casting it off and walking off with the boatpole. To me they are effectivly saying, "...and what are you going to do about it?....".

• Greenie 1