Foxton from Above

pig

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Did C&RT stipulate this could only be done when there was a maximum of so many people around?

Do they give permission freely or is there a charge?

Most amateurs don't ask for permission (which would invariably be denied) but instead just 'do it'. 

Any licensed professional would negotiate a fee which would be recharged to his client. Obviously he would be happy to show his accreditation and proof of insurance. 

A licensed professional will be listed here: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=7078

Edited by WotEver
Add the link

3 hours ago, J R ALSOP said:

Very nicely done.

How can something that's totally illegal be 'nicely done'?

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

So illegal in every way then.

Completely yes. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkmoth said:

No boaters were hurt in the making of this video

I don't believe that anyone suggested they were. Zenataomm asked about permissions and rules. I replied, giving him the information that he asked for, namely that no permission was sought nor given and that the video is, essentially, totally illegal. 

1 hour ago, Hawkmoth said:

Law/rules were made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. 

Quoted from someone else, but still germain today.

Bob

I find it yet again fascinating that some boaters are very fast to scream CRT can't do that its not allowed by law and yet are happy to suggest laws don't need to be followed when it isn't CRT.

Clearly no-one and no property was significantly endangered by making that video which was of course nice to see. But I find it sad that people don't understand that what they are doing is illegal, especially when the authorities are becoming so hot on drone violations. Plain daft and it's a bit like the people who post videos of themselves driving recklessly and then are gobsmacked when the police come calling. It will all end in tears!

• Greenie 1

Just now, pig said:

Wow.

There are rules for commercial drone operation.

I'm not a commercial operator, it's a hobby, like boating.

There is guidance for hobby fliers.

http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

Nobody was flown over, the only person around wanted a look at the live feed from my quad.

Geez.

I refer you to the Air Navigation Order which is UK law, breaches of which are a criminal offence. These apply to hobby fliers as well as commercial ones, though there are extra clauses for commercial ones. Please have a look at the relevant parts here (expand the links) http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Unmanned-aircraft/Unmanned-Aircraft/

in particular note the definition of "congested area" which is not what you might think it is.

i suggest that if you flew over at less than 150m you were breaking the law, and if at more than 150m you were breaking a different law. I don't particularly mind you breaking these laws but I feel it's in your interests to know when you are breaking the law, as ignorance of the law is not a defence. Then you can make an informed choice.

• Greenie 1

Just now, pig said:

The Air Navigation Order defines a congested area as being 'any area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes'."

Is Foxton Locks a city, town, or settlement?

Well this is the question. It is certainly substantially used for recreational purposes. But is it within a settlement? It has a couple of pubs at the bottom (does anyone live in them?) a cottage at the top (non-residential of course) and I think a house or two nearby. Is "Foxton" just the name of the locks, or in fact the name of a settlement? So we'd have to find the definition of a settlement for the purposes of the act to decide. Or let a court do it for us. The important point is that areas of open space such as parks and golf courses in urban areas don't seem at all congested, but they are for the purposes of the act. All I'm asking is that you know the laws and then make your choice or decision. When you implied earlier that the laws only applied to commercial operators, I cringed.

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

When you implied earlier that the laws only applied to commercial operators, I cringed.

Ditto when I just read that. Do the rules of the road only apply to lorry drivers?

I liked the video but I don't think there's any doubt that it was illegal. Just take one part of the law: that no drone should be directly above any vessel unless that vessel is under the control of the drone operator. Clearly that wasn't the case.

7 hours ago, pig said:

Is Foxton Locks a city, town, or settlement?

Good question, as this definition could mean that more laws were broken. 

DEFRA clarifies settlements as...

• Urban - More than 10,000 population. 
  • Rural town and fringe
  • Rural village
  • Rural hamlet and isolated dwellings

I'm no lawyer but my reading of the above suggests that if there is a single dwelling in an area then that means it's a settlement. Is there? I don't know. 

8 hours ago, paulmeds said:

What drone did you use, Mavic pro?   lovely footage by the way.

Thanks paulmeds. Yes I have a Mavic Pro - it's video quality is not as good as the Phantom series, but it's portability more than makes up for that - you can be up in the air and deliver your drugs to the prison via the airport and be away in no time.

I'M JOKING nicknorman :rolleyes: