Single handing the river Kennet

John J

Featured Posts

Is single handing the Kennet possible for a newbie?

I've been boating for about a week now, I've been fine going up the Thames on my own as I've managed to find places to stop that are out of the stream an the lock landings weren't too difficult to get into.. I now need to travel up the kennet. From reading the navigation notes in my Nicholson guide im a bit concerned i wont be able to manage it on my own. The navigation notes say: 'Fobney lock - care should be taken when using the landing stage below the lock as a strong weir stream flows at right angles' and also says 'To operate county lock 106  it is advisable to first moor under the inner distribution road bridge, on the east side, to drop off crew to set the lock. once prepared, power into the lock to avoid being swept to the side away from the lock entrance'

So my questions are...

does anyone know if its possible to just power strait into the lock landings to moor out of the stream?

or is the only place to moor before the locks in the flow of the river?

is single handing the kenett much more difficult than the thames?

Thanks a million in advance!

John

Single handing the Kennet is very do-able.  Don't rush, if you aren't sure, moor up and walk ahead to see the layout,  or wait until another boat comes along.

There is nothing more satisfying than keeping a queue of traffic waiting.☺

Be aware of Strong stream advice, sign up for textwarnings, and make sure you take the advice given

Edited by matty40s

Hi,

I've done the Kennet a couple of times single handed.  If you've managed the Thames the Kennet will be easy. At Fobney lock the landing is a raised pontoon with the bywash water flow coming through underneath.  Just need to hop off and get a rope secured so the boat isn't pushed off the pontoon.  County lock is just below a wide road bridge and the lock landing and bollards are actually on the towpath under the bridge.  It's only a problem heading east towards the Thames as if you pass through the bridge the lock is immediately after the bridge with a large weir to the left.  All you need do it tie up under the bridge, prepare the lock, and then head straight in.  Going west toward simply leave the lock and stop under the bridge to go back and close the gates. 

Enjoy, it's a beautiful canal.

I single hand my 68ft boat on the Kennet all the time. Yes there are awkward bits but I didn't read Nicholsons and realise how dangerous it was until I'd done many many hours of cruising on it. It's easy to get unnecessarily spooked by what you read. Bear in mind newbie hire boaters cruise the Kennet constantly in summer with few problems.

Having said that, treat County Lock with great respect, it is a very shallow lock but approaches from both directions are awkward. Going upstream as you will be at first, there is an undercurrent across the face of the lock entrance that will sweep the bow of your boat towrds the bank as you enter the lock. Then on leaving the lock DO NOT be tempted to moor against the rickety railings and walkway immediately on your left on leaving the lock, keep going to the official lock landing 100 yds up underneath the road bridge. Again, this is to avoid occasionally vicious cross currents. Guess how I know this!

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I single hand my 68ft boat on the Kennet all the time. Yes there are awkward bits but I didn't read Nicholsons and realise how dangerous it was until I'd done many many hours of cruising on it. It's easy to get unnecessarily spooked by what you read. Bear in mind newbie hire boaters cruise the Kennet constantly in summer with few problems.

Having said that, treat County Lock with great respect, it is a very shallow lock but approaches from both directions are awkward. Going upstream as you will be at first, there is an undercurrent across the face of the lock entrance that will sweep the bow of your boat towrds the bank as you enter the lock. Then on leaving the lock DO NOT be tempted to moor against the rickety railings and walkway immediately on your left on leaving the lock, keep going to the official lock landing 100 yds up underneath the road bridge. Again, this is to avoid occasionally vicious cross currents. Guess how I know this!

All the best boats are 68 feet long.

If there is any flow then the Kennet can be much more difficult than the Thames so treat it with respect. It could be challenging for an inexperienced single hander so watch out, though I believe the flow is fairly tame at present.

Approach County with care, there is sometimes a nasty eddy to pull the front out into the flow. I suggest you go straight out and don't come back to close the gates, this is common practice.

Fobney lock landing is tricky in a longer boat, better to have the back not quite on the landing rather than to get the front into the sewage work overflow!!! Fobney has a reputation for very bad yoof, though probably less so of late (only bad yoof on the whole K&A) but time it to avoid school chucking out time or sunny weekends etc.

Fobney, like most Kennet locks, has fierce gate paddles that can easily sink you, keep the boat back and take it slow.

Woolhampton is the big issue. It is wise to get the lock ready before going through the swing bridge and not to use the landing just above the bridge. Dangers are somebody will steal the lock, or impatient motorists will steal your keys to close the bridge. A lot easier to have help here. Lots of posts on this forum about how to navigate Woolhampton but keep right and turn late, do not head straight for lock on full power even though some people suggest this.

Aldermaston is a very busy road so help with bridge would be good but not essential.

Nasty push towards lock landing approaching Bulls lock. (and a few others)

Take care leaving Ham lock, turn left into flow and do not let flow turn you right. Don't bother to go back to close gates, they swing open anyway.

Open both gates leaving Greenham lock and don't get too close to gates, oddly located handrail uprights will take paint of gunnels.

............Dave