Boat sunk in Marina

dixi188

Featured Posts

Sad Sight yesterday, a boat sunk on a jetty in Fenny Compton Marina.

My surprise was that it was completely submerged. Just the roof showing at one end. The water must be 8 ft. deep. I didn't realize the water in the marina was so deep.

RCR were there trying to re-float it but went away after a few hours. I presume they will return with bigger pumps.

Just now, b0atman said:

surely management are obliged to do a tour of inspection each day as good practice .You pay your money and expect boat to be safe.

But that would mean that they have to come out of their warm and dry office.

Not a chance of the staff walking around and checking the 250 odd boats where we are.

43 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If it is anything like our marina there would be very few people around mid week so perhaps there was no one there to notice it?

A good point - but there's an office and shop in which there are usually two people several days a week, plus a boatbuilding and repair shed (Mitchell's), in addition to moorers, so there are generally people about. In addition, most of the moored boats look kempt, I have never noticed any wrecks which looked as if they were about to go under at any moment.

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

But that would mean that they have to come out of their warm and dry office.

Not a chance of the staff walking around and checking the 250 odd boats where we are.

Here at Aston the office staff do a morning walk round, rain or shine.  I would have though that was the norm.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, dixi188 said:

RCR were there trying to re-float it but went away after a few hours. I presume they will return with bigger pumps.

If it is completely submerged how will bigger pumps help?

1 hour ago, b0atman said:

surely management are obliged to do a tour of inspection each day as good practice .You pay your money and expect boat to be safe.

If it is still under the same ownership as I think it is, the owner was, in our experience, probably the laziest man assosciated with a canal boat business - anywhere!

2 minutes ago, b0atman said:

everybody needs good neighbours in the absence of decent management or when there is no management Boaters in it together

Our mooring is directly in front of a very busy restaurant and bar. We know the owners and staff so would hope that they might alert us if there is a problem!

14 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If it is still under the same ownership as I think it is, the owner was, in our experience, probably the laziest man assosciated with a canal boat business - anywhere!

I believe that they have now merged with, or been taken over by, another marina (Cowroast?), so it may not still be the same chap in charge.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

If water is entering through a hull breach, they need to pump out faster than it comes in.  But as you realise they will have to lift it until it is level and up to the gunwhales first.  You can lift sunken objects if you can form a big whirlpool.  Sink a bowl or pan in your kitchen sink and then use a spoon to create a whirlpool in the bowl/pan and it will come to the surface - magic!

On 15/03/2017 at 10:12, mross said:

If water is entering through a hull breach, they need to pump out faster than it comes in.  But as you realise they will have to lift it until it is level and up to the gunwhales first.  You can lift sunken objects if you can form a big whirlpool.  Sink a bowl or pan in your kitchen sink and then use a spoon to create a whirlpool in the bowl/pan and it will come to the surface - magic!

Fascinating. You know I've never tried that or even been faintly aware that effect exists! Will have a try later.

I doubt the other boaters in FC marina will think much of the method though...

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I believe that they have now merged with, or been taken over by, another marina (Cowroast?), so it may not still be the same chap in charge.

No, quite the reverse, in fact.

The chap who owned both Fenny and Cow Roast Marinas managed to sell Cow Roast to BWML a few years back, (for far more than it was worth, according to many).

What I don't know is if he still owns FEnny, but I have not heard that they don't.

The same family also submitted the planning request to build a new Marina where the golf range is at Ivinghoe, but I have not heard any recent news about that proposal.

17 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

No, quite the reverse, in fact.

The chap who owned both Fenny and Cow Roast Marinas managed to sell Cow Roast to BWML a few years back, (for far more than it was worth, according to many).

What I don't know is if he still owns FEnny, but I have not heard that they don't.

I have just looked at a map of BW Marinas and Fenny does not appear to be in their number.

Why are they still "BW" marinas when BW has been "CART" for several years? A bit like the "M.o.T." certificate, I suppose.

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have just looked at a map of BW Marinas and Fenny does not appear to be in their number.

Why are they still "BW" marinas when BW has been "CART" for several years? A bit like the "M.o.T." certificate, I suppose.

Alan referred to Cowroast which remains BWML.

BWML is the marina trading company wholly owned by CaRT. When CaRT took over from BW they did not bother changing the name. Hence the marinas are not owned/operated by CaRT but by BWML. Any distributable profits (and therein lies an area for debate) are transferred to the parent company.

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Here at Aston the office staff do a morning walk round, rain or shine.  I would have though that was the norm.

While I am not in a position to refute this, I never saw it in the 12 months that my boat was there.

Frank.

2 hours ago, mross said:

And if you aerate the water under a boat, it may sink ....

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

26 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Alan referred to Cowroast which remains BWML.

Yes, I know, I read his post.

28 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

BWML is the marina trading company wholly owned by CaRT. When CaRT took over from BW they did not bother changing the name. Hence the marinas are not owned/operated by CaRT but by BWML. Any distributable profits (and therein lies an area for debate) are transferred to the parent company.

Yes, I realise who operates them. I simply wondered why they retained the old name. I wish they'd retained it for all their operations.

On 15/03/2017 at 08:50, Athy said:

A good point - but there's an office and shop in which there are usually two people several days a week, plus a boatbuilding and repair shed (Mitchell's), in addition to moorers, so there are generally people about. In addition, most of the moored boats look kempt, I have never noticed any wrecks which looked as if they were about to go under at any moment.

It's not Mitchell's any more. Bob had a serious accident and left. The repair business is now run by some relatives of Reeves who build shells on the site.

Steve