Wet room floor

Featured Posts

Morning folks, I've got a wet room to build and need to waterproof a small non straightforward shape that won't have any weight on it. 

Its going to be 18mm marine ply  but would you suggest to cover it with? I thought lots of epoxy may be enough?

would be grateful for any suggestions/ideas? 

Provided there are no "violent" upstands vinyl is the way to go. Watching a few Youtube videos will help. Whilst I`m using a Impey  wetroom  without a former just on a 18mm ply I am using their low profile waste for pumped outlet. I`ve arranged for a local carpet fitter to lay the vinyl as they have the necessary "heat" equipment to "melt" any joins or cuts in corners etc.

I've got no useful advice to give I'm afraid, because I've never really understood the concept of wet rooms.

It seems to me that its far better to confine all surplus water to a shower cubicle and then step out onto a dry bath mat and use a bath towel without any danger of it picking up water by dragging on the floor. 

Perhaps somebody can help to nudge this old dinosaur into the 21st century by explaining why I'm wrong.

30 minutes ago, pophops said:

I've got no useful advice to give I'm afraid, because I've never really understood the concept of wet rooms.

It seems to me that its far better to confine all surplus water to a shower cubicle and then step out onto a dry bath mat and use a bath towel without any danger of it picking up water by dragging on the floor. 

Perhaps somebody can help to nudge this old dinosaur into the 21st century by explaining why I'm wrong.

Wet rooms on boats give you a larger shower for a smaller space compared to a separate shower area.  In a house the wet room may have a separate shower area depending on size, the whole floor is on one level which benefits people with disabilities.

Im having a wet room on my boat, the area I have to play with is 4ft x 5ft, 4ft been along the gunnel and the door on the opposite side.   Hard to get a shower in those dimensions and having the shower near the centre of the boat increases the headroom.

Edited by Robbo

As mentioned vinyl can be used. But the big problem is at some stage the welds will fail. most of the wetrooms in the hospital I worked at suffered from this problem. We changed to an epoxy system in the end, remember it will need to be anti slip. Have a google for liquid rubber membrane that could be used and would be less expensive than a full blown epoxy floor system.

The industry standard used to be Altro non slip flooring and I suspect it still is.  It only used to come in one colour a sort of yucky grey but doubtless you can get many variations today.  I'd get a professional to lay it though.  I'm going to replace my wet room floor with it one day, at the moment it just has ceramic tiles glued to the floor but it's lasted nearly 30 years without leaking.

Epoxy would do but you'll need several layers and time for it to cure properly, Altro is ready to use straight away.

Re-reading this topic and although I was/am getting vinyl laid I`ve just remembered that when years ago I built a swimming pool during research I recall considering a product with a pimpled surface that you glued to the cement render which made the pool water proof and obviously non slip. Will have to look into it again. I actually used a pool liner in the end but I seem to recall that was because of a contact who manufactured the liners and it was bought the right way.

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 10:54, Polishicebreaker said:

would be grateful for any suggestions/ideas? 

52 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Re-reading this topic and although I was/am getting vinyl laid I`ve just remembered that when years ago I built a swimming pool during research I recall considering a product with a pimpled surface that you glued to the cement render which made the pool water proof and obviously non slip. Will have to look into it again. I actually used a pool liner in the end but I seem to recall that was because of a contact who manufactured the liners and it was bought the right way.

So I am also intending to have a wet room, as said earlier it gives a bigger shower without taking away space for the toilet. 

I fit wetrooms in houses and we use preformed sub trays that you then tile onto. They have to slight drop towards the waste.

I am going to do something slightly different. I am going to fix grey pebbles to sealed marine ply and grout the gaps, I am then going to pour casting resin onto the pebbles and gently smooth in the required drop to the waste. I will put stiff angle plastic strips fixed to the ply so once in place the plastic wall panelling will be glued inside the plastic angle to seal and prevent leakage. 

If you want an idea of how it's done search 'the penny floor' on YouTube they do it with pennies which looks brilliant.  As it's resin it will have some grip when wet. I'm pretty sure there will be a clear non slip coating that can be use to make it safer. You can obviously put whatever you want down to pour the resin over...