Thoughts from Mercia Marina moorings please.

tonyt40

Featured Posts

Our boat was at Mercia for a year.

The facilities are the best I have seen anywhere and there is excellent security.

There are a lot of liveaboards and there is certainly a "community" but as I am not a "joiner" I did not find this to be an advantage. Clearly it would suit others.

It is also fine for those (like me) who have dogs to walk - lots of interesting walks, including a pond.

The short walk (about 10 mins) to Willington, which has a rail station as well as 3 pubs, shops and takeaways, is a strong point in favour of Mercia.

I did not find the staff to be particularly friendly (not that this is necessarily a disadvantage) but when my wife broke her leg on site, no one made the effort to even ask if she was sorted out or in need of any extra assistance. Obviously they have insurance considerations but we made no claim so someone might have at least said 'hello'.

On the whole I would recommend Mercia but we are no longer there.

Frank.

we lived at Mercia for two and a half years as liveaboards. It was great until we were told we had to move from the mooring that we had taken time to 'choose' and got settled on, got to know the people around us etc. With liveaboard status, we had to move to a different pontoon. then 9 months later, had to move again. We have 4 dogs and had chosen a berth second in from the end of the pontoon which made life a little easier when having to take them out for toilet and walks. After the moving about, we ended up(not through choice but just what was available) in the middle, alongside people who didnt want to use leads for their dogs, letting them sit in the middle of the pontoon so we couldnt get past with ours. The amount of dogs mess in the dog walking fields all became a big issue too (we are ones who religiously picked up after ours). You could stand at the entrance to the dog fields and see people 100 yards ahead of their dog whilst the dog was happily making the mess behind them. All became far to stressful in the end. 

22 hours ago, deckhand said:

we lived at Mercia for two and a half years as liveaboards. It was great until we were told we had to move from the mooring that we had taken time to 'choose' and got settled on, got to know the people around us etc. With liveaboard status, we had to move to a different pontoon. then 9 months later, had to move again. We have 4 dogs and had chosen a berth second in from the end of the pontoon which made life a little easier when having to take them out for toilet and walks. After the moving about, we ended up(not through choice but just what was available) in the middle, alongside people who didnt want to use leads for their dogs, letting them sit in the middle of the pontoon so we couldnt get past with ours. The amount of dogs mess in the dog walking fields all became a big issue too (we are ones who religiously picked up after ours). You could stand at the entrance to the dog fields and see people 100 yards ahead of their dog whilst the dog was happily making the mess behind them. All became far to stressful in the end. 

We were talking to a resident and he mentioned the residents moving about. We are not liveaboards so should be fine. We like dogs but don't have one. 

40 minutes ago, tonyt40 said:

We were talking to a resident and he mentioned the residents moving about. We are not liveaboards so should be fine. We like dogs but don't have one. 

You will probably find it will serve you well then. Different cruising whether turning left or right, couple of pubs local to the marina plus shops and the fact that the security is very good at Mercia.  Good luck to you.  Hope you find that it suits you and your focus can be on your boat and boating rather than any issues with your mooring. 

On 17/03/2017 at 18:20, deckhand said:

You will probably find it will serve you well then. Different cruising whether turning left or right, couple of pubs local to the marina plus shops and the fact that the security is very good at Mercia.  Good luck to you.  Hope you find that it suits you and your focus can be on your boat and boating rather than any issues with your mooring. 

Thanks Deckhand. Looking forward to some boating in a different area. 

• Greenie 1