Thoughts from Mercia Marina moorings please.

tonyt40

Featured Posts

Hi

We are looking at moving the boat to the Midlands from Yorkshire. We had a look round some yesterday and think we settled on moving down to Mercia later in the year. 

I would be interested to hear from anybody moored there about marina life and community. The good and bad etc. 

Thanks 

Tony

Edited by tonyt40

The good is an excellent set up with all the services you will need, when we moored there marina management were also very good.  

Two bads, when it's windy, mooring is a real pig and you can be a distance between car and boat.

Would I return?  No doubt, yes.

2 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

The good is an excellent set up with all the services you will need, when we moored there marina management were also very good.  

Two bads, when it's windy, mooring is a real pig and you can be a distance between car and boat.

Would I return?  No doubt, yes.

This ^^^^^

Excellent social life in the winter, management genuinely looks after you, great community spirit. Not many moorhens, actually, but loads of coots, swans both white and an occasional black, oyster catchers, gulls...

Does anyone know a marina where mooring is not a problem in the wind? If distance from boat to pontoon is an issue, avoid a mooring on Quail, it's right out in the middle.

Mind you, we've got two Yorkshire tykes here already, can we cope with more, I ask myself? :lol:;)

15 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Does anyone know a marina where mooring is not a problem in the wind? If distance from boat to pontoon is an issue, avoid a mooring on Quail, it's right out in the middle.

Even my end of garden mooring is a pain when it's windy, as the wind rushes through the gap between the house and the bridge.

I found Mercia particularly difficult compared to where we are now, Kings Bromley.  I reckon it's the sheer size and way wind funnels through.  It would not put me off though, often thought about returning but too many other places to see.

Can't compare with anything because the boat has been moored there since new. Yes is can get windy, but so can most places.

Facilities community and management are excellent in our view and it maybe expensive in comparision but its worth it.

Kevin & Sue.

13 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

You get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with Stenson under its new owner, but nothing like the facilities of Mercia.

That always makes me giggle when I hear ( facilities ) no offence. My boat like my previous boat and most others in such marinas has a cooker, shower, toilet, washing machine, tumble dryer etc etc etc etc etc so what facilities exactly are we talking about. All marinas have water points and usualy electric etc etc, parking etc so what is better about Mercia? I for one would vastly prefer Stenson, my bro in law moored there for years until very recently whilst under the previous owners and it was a great place.

5 hours ago, Phil. said:

Someone we spoke with last year claimed they had left because it is top heavy with liveaboards. May not be a problem for you.

That would be a selling point for me - liveaboards provide great additional security to my mind.

5 hours ago, Phil. said:

Someone we spoke with last year claimed they had left because it is top heavy with liveaboards. May not be a problem for you.

Why would that be a deterrent?

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

That always makes me giggle when I hear ( facilities ) no offence. My boat like my previous boat and most others in such marinas has a cooker, shower, toilet, washing machine, tumble dryer etc etc etc etc etc so what facilities exactly are we talking about. All marinas have water points and usualy electric etc etc, parking etc so what is better about Mercia? I for one would vastly prefer Stenson, my bro in law moored there for years until very recently whilst under the previous owners and it was a great place.

No offence taken. We don't have a tumble drier on board and the big ones in the Facilities Blocks can handle a double load in 50 minutes. But the extras are things like the choice of shops, ranging from a corner type shop that also sells coal and gas to two caffs, a bistro pub and a socking great branch of Midland Chandlers.

i saw a Stenson boat in here for a pump out the other day, so I guess Stenson doesn't have one. As always, it's horses for courses.

8 hours ago, Ange said:

That would be a selling point for me - liveaboards provide great additional security to my mind.

That's fine then.

8 hours ago, MJG said:

Why would that be a deterrent?

It may not be for some, but for others it might be a deal breaker if they like peace and quite.

11 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

No offence taken. We don't have a tumble drier on board and the big ones in the Facilities Blocks can handle a double load in 50 minutes. But the extras are things like the choice of shops, ranging from a corner type shop that also sells coal and gas to two caffs, a bistro pub and a socking great branch of Midland Chandlers.

i saw a Stenson boat in here for a pump out the other day, so I guess Stenson doesn't have one. As always, it's horses for courses.

:o You dont shop in Midland swindlers do you? I didnt know you were more wealthy than Royalty :D Actualy you may be right about pump out I couldnt say but I think there is one. My bro in law has a proper boat bog on his so he doesnt need one. He doesnt get everything right though cos he has a clunk clunk in a engine room AND an instrument of torture.............more commonly known as a cross bed!!

Well done on the choice, it was (is) our fav marina, despite the odd crappy mooring up cos of the wind.  Remember turning left means  Stensons lock.  But it's not as bad as I think, go slow and ignore most of the gongoozler advice from the cafe opposite.  Did I say slow?  Go very slow and it's a good experience.  Turn right and it's lock free until dallow lane, a nice long, lock free cruise.  Happy cruising.

On 14/03/2017 at 18:04, mrsmelly said:

:o You dont shop in Midland swindlers do you? I didnt know you were more wealthy than Royalty :D Actualy you may be right about pump out I couldnt say but I think there is one. My bro in law has a proper boat bog on his so he doesnt need one. He doesnt get everything right though cos he has a clunk clunk in a engine room AND an instrument of torture.............more commonly known as a cross bed!!

Wow, I didn't think people still used Elsans. 

Friend of mine has a boat there, very happy as far as i know. Moved their boat in a howling gale once, ferry gliding around. Other mooters and even the office seems to think we where mad, but while blowing a serious blow there's enough space to manoeuvre and no issues had.

Daniel

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Wow, I didn't think people still used Elsans. 

We do.

Daniel

On 14/03/2017 at 18:04, mrsmelly said:

I called in Midland Chandlers while we were down there last week and didn't think the prices were too bad on the bits I needed. 

13 hours ago, tonyt40 said:

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I think this will be our new home mooring. Just the small matter of getting the boat there! 

Welcome in advance, look forward to seeing you around.

10 minutes ago, tonyt40 said:

I called in Midland Chandlers while we were down there last week and didn't think the prices were too bad on the bits I needed. 

And Mercia Moorers get a discount there, as at several other retailers on site. For MC, it's 7.5% IIRC :clapping: