No access to the Kennet and Avon on the Thames

kremmen

Featured Posts

I have seen it mentioned but thought I would set up a note that Blakes lock is chained and locked shut due to an environmental issue. Apparently yesterday some helpful boater moved one of the booms to approach the lock and attempt passage.

Received from EA:

Please see attached Environment Agency Harbourmaster's Notice for an emergency river closure.

When: Friday 10 March 2017 until further notice

Where: Blake’s Lock on the River Kennet

What’s happening: Pollution incident on the River Kennet. The River Kennet is closed at Blake’s Lock until further notice. The lock is chained and padlocked shut. 

We have deployed booms immediately downstream of Blake’s Lock to contain the pollution.

Paul

Thank you, this came up under the "Thames" topic but needed to have its own topic under stoppages.

As I said there, bigste plans to leave the Kennet at the end of the month with me as crew, so I'm very interested to find out whether Reading will be open for navigation by then. With Easter coming up in mid-April, we won't be the only ones looking for further information.

I found this from 9 March on a local newspaper site" getreading" (warning: picture heavy)

http://www.getreading.co.uk/incoming/gallery/environment-agency-cleans-up-oil-12716815

For those of you on limited data, it tells us it was an oil spill in Foudry Brook, which runs into the Kennet just west of Reading, shows the EA using oil absorbent booms to clean up, and mentions 120 swans being saved. So I'm guessing the boom at Blakes Lock would be to collect as much of possible of the oil that got away before those booms in the article were put in place, and further speculating that in maybe a week or so they should have mopped up all they can of the oil and the rest will just have to run away down the Thames, becoming ever more diluted as it goes?