Smoke poring out of top air vent on fire

Simon and Pu

Featured Posts

That is so wrong......you look to have a 'straight' flue. Get outside and remove the chimney and look down from a safe distance. If you can't see the fire then the flue is blocked. If you don't have a flue brush just put the fire out then use a boat pole to scrape the crud out. Note however that if it is thick crud you risk a chimney fire if it catches so no real alternative but a proper clean asap.

I assume you have a chimney and cowl fitted and not left the chimney cap in place ?

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Simon and Pu said:

Please help.   Cleaned the fire.  Dropped the top plate inside and gave it a good clean. Stuck my hand up the pipe. All good.   Smoke is coming out of chimney. But a lot of smoke is poring out of top air vents above the door into the boat.    

capturedvideo.MOV

It sounds like you have a restriction in your flue pipe or Chimney or put the baffle plate back incorrectly. Or you have a flue damper that is shut. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

We evacuated the boat and have waiting for the log to burn out.  We have never messed with the fire since we owned the boat for one year almost. And have burned the fire with the vents open top and bottom. And smoke has never pored out of the vent.   I will follow your advice with popping of the chimney and sticking the pole down tomorrow. 

There is this screw thing next to the door that is very loose. I have no idea what it's for.  Please see pic attached.  Ive googled it and have never found the answer. 

image.jpg

This happened to me only last week! Blocked flue which probably wasn't helped by using house coal that I got cheap.

Made a right mess although wasn't obvious at first. I'm still cleaning up after it. Lesson learned for me!

RichM

Yes, at least until fire is going properly.  It's the main air supply.  The top one is the air wash that keeps the glass clean.  It looks very like mine and I thought the vent was closed from you pics.  It does sound like a blocked chimney.  Is there any label on the back?

It looks like an Arada make.  I can't find Bestfire on the internet as a manufacturer.  Is there a two-foot chimney outside to give a good 'draw'.

I hope yuo managed to get back on board and sleep OK?  Could you have put that baffle back incorrectly?

Can you post a photo of the whole front of the stove to help me identify it?  The video is a bit gloomy.

We got to sleep and cleared the boat. This miring I removed the fire bricks inside there are all cracked and Brocken. Removed the plate and stuck the boat pole down the chimney. The fire place was half filled with soot. So I'm thinking it was very blocked. Off now to get new fire bricks. And re fit everything.  And will try another fire.   Will keep you posted.  Thanks for all help 

7 minutes ago, Simon and Pu said:

We got to sleep and cleared the boat. This miring I removed the fire bricks inside there are all cracked and Brocken. Removed the plate and stuck the boat pole down the chimney. The fire place was half filled with soot. So I'm thinking it was very blocked. Off now to get new fire bricks. And re fit everything.  And will try another fire.   Will keep you posted.  Thanks for all help 

May be worth getting a brush down there. 

You can get a proper boat one, or just tape a cheapy brush on a broom handle. 

What type of fuel you burn will determine how often you need to sweep. 

Edited by rusty69

Just one point to add.

It's very easy for soot to built up behind, on top of a baffle plate. So much so that, on London Boaters, you get the occasional picture of a flue removed and the hole literally full of soot. 

If you can move your flue pipe, pull it up off the top of the stove and have a look from that angle, you should be able to see what's behind the baffle. If you can't then wriggle your hand over and behind it from the inside and pull out any crud. 

Simply cleaning the chimney from above will tend to fill this space with more soot.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Stuart Davies said:

Just one point to add.

It's very easy for soot to built up behind, on top of a baffle plate. So much so that, on London Boaters, you get the occasional picture of a flue removed and the hole literally full of soot. 

If you can move your flue pipe, pull it up off the top of the stove and have a look from that angle, you should be able to see what's behind the baffle. If you can't then wriggle your hand over and behind it from the inside and pull out any crud. 

Simply cleaning the chimney from above will tend to fill this space with more soot.

On our Morso Squirrel the baffle plate is removeable without disturbing the flu pipe.

The OP mentions removing the plate.

• Greenie 1